Sunday, March 19, 2017

March 12 to 18, 2017

Sunday ;  Sunny and hot.

Today we sadly remember Sully the cat, who died two years ago at 18½ years of age.

This morning I took care of routine household chores.  This afternoon I removed the trailer's screen door, took it into the Arizona room, removed the ( torn by Bo ) lower section of screening, and replaced it with new "pet proof" screening, then reinstalled the screen door onto the trailer.  Then ... we gave Bo a haircut.  Good dog, Bo !  We give him three haircuts per year, and I am amazed at how much his hair grows in a four month period.

After Joanne cleaned all the dog hair off the Arizona room floor, and I finished cleaning the clipper blades, we took Bo for our regular late afternoon two lap walk around the dog park.  It's obvious how much more comfortable he is in this hot weather when all his hair has been cut off.  After the walk I went bicycling at sunset.

I barbecued jerk chicken for supper tonight, first time I have used jerk seasoning.  Turned out very well.

Monday ;  Sunny and very hot, 96º F / 36º C.

This morning Joanne prepared a nice picnic lunch for us, I walked across the street to allow the neighbours' dog Lucy the Dachshund out for a bathroom break, then we set off for Wellton, about 30 miles / 50 km. east on Interstate 8.

As we approached Wellton we were brought to tears by the odour of the feed lot in Wellton.  PHEW !  We endured the horrible smell as we found our way to Naked Dates, a small date farm just outside Wellton.  We were going for date shakes.  Except ... when we arrived there we discovered ... < sputter > ...  Naked Dates is closed on Mondays ! ! !  < sigh >

We drove back to Yuma.  We stopped at Fry's in The Foothills to refill Obie with fuel, and to buy a few grocery items.  We parked in the shade of the Goodwill Thrift Store and ate our picnic lunch in the car.  What a thrill !

Back at home Joanne did some housecleaning while I napped briefly.  We went to the swimming pool and floated around for about an hour.  I watered our plants and gardens.  We washed the car.  We walked a couple of laps around the dog park with Bo, then I went bicycling at sunset before barbecuing burgers for supper.

Tuesday ;  Sunny and very hot, 98º F / 37º C.  Joanne roasted a chicken in the Sun Oven today.

Right after lunch we loaded up all our recycling into Obie and hauled it to the local recycling depot, then we drove to the Humane Society for our regular Tuesday afternoon shift of dog walking and cat cuddling.  Two hours of walking large dogs in this brutal heat and sunshine was difficult and left me feeling exhausted.

After we returned home I worked on measuring, cutting, drilling, and installing the second ( of nine ) piece of vinyl fascia trim on our shed.  I am doing this vinyl fascia project because the wood trim on the edge of the shed roof seemed to be too old and worn and rotten to warrant being repainted.  Good decision !  The wood trim is so rotten it can barely support having vinyl fascia attached to it.  I was determined to accomplish installing one more piece today despite having started too late in the day.  It was very near dark by the time I finished.  Which might explain my finger injury !  OUCH !

The Sun Oven roasted chicken was excellent !  We watched four consecutive Canadian comedy shows, our regular Tuesday evening ritual.

Wednesday ;
  Sunny and very hot.  Heat wave continues, with temperatures in the high 90's F / high 30's C.

At noon Joanne phoned our friend ( since high school ! ) Shirley in Winnipeg and they had a long chat.  We had a late lunch, then Joanne went grocery shopping by herself. 
I spent the afternoon working on the installation of vinyl fascia panels on the shed roof edge.  Even with frequent rest breaks, and lots of fluids, working hard on very hot days causes me to experience angina pain  < sigh >.  I have now measured, cut, drilled, and installed five of nine panels.  The first five were the easiest ones.  The remaining four panels will be more difficult.  So ... I guess I'm about half done.

While working on a ladder ... shirtless, of course, due to the weather ... I dropped a reciprocating saw.  As it fell the blade scraped my abdomen.  OUCH !  That's two injuries due to this job.  So far !

Thursday ;  Sunny and very hot.  Again / still !

This morning we ran some errands.  We stopped at the local veterinarian to advise them that they sent a notice to us that was intended for another client with the same last name.  I dropped Joanne off at Wal-Mart and I continued on to Pep Boys to pick up two items I had ordered last Saturday.  One item was there, the other was not.  And
I received atrociously bad customer service.  Not the first time that has happened. 
I think my days of dealing with Pep Boys are soon to end !  I returned to Wal-Mart and helped Joanne with the Wal-Martin'.

After a late lunch at home, and a brief nap I continued working on the shed roof edge vinyl fascia project.  Having Joanne's help makes the job much easier ... and safer for me.  I completed two more panels, and now have only two more to do.  Although those two will be the most difficult.  And one will involve removing the satellite dish, which we both are dreading.  Not the removing part, the reinstallation and re-aiming is the part we are both dreading.

By the time we were finished working on the vinyl fascia project it was almost dark.  We took Bo for a walk around the dog park, but it became dark by the time we completed only one lap.  And ... we took a longer time than usual to complete that one lap because we were chatting with a newly arrived visitor who is also a new RV'er, having started his life as a full time RV'er ... just last Saturday.  HA HA HA !  Yes, yes ... he had many questions !

Late in the evening we read ... and discussed ... all the reports and correspondence from our RV park back home in BC, following their recent monthly board meeting. 
< shaking head in despair >  < sighing heavily >

Friday ;  St. Patrick's Day ;
  Sunny and very hot.

This morning we headed to The Foothills to run some shopping errands.  First stop was Al's RV Supply to buy a floor register for Harvey ( the fifth wheel trailer ).  Then Green Tree Grocery to buy some Zuko drink mixes.  We drove all the way across town from The Foothills in the east to the Big Curve ( where 32nd St. curves around to become 4th Ave. ) in the west where I picked up my special ordered item at Pep Boys.  From there we went to Church's Chicken for lunch.  Joanne's idea !

Back at home I napped briefly then we set off for the 2017 Twilight Air Show at MCAS
( Marine Corps Air Station ) Yuma.  I thought it was great !  Joanne was bored ! 
< shrug >  The Twilight Air Show was about an hour in daylight, then about an hour in darkness.  Of course, there were lots of pyrotechnics.  I question the wisdom of a team of women making night time parachute jumps with flames shooting out the heels of their boots, but ... what do I know ? ! ?  HA HA HA !


Saturday ;  Still sunny and very hot, temperature hitting 99º F this afternoon.  Usually the temperature in Yuma doesn't reach 100º F until early April, but ... let's see what happens tomorrow !  Joanne cooked a corned beef brisket in the Sun Oven today, a day late for St. Patrick's Day, but ... better late than never.

I spent much of the day continuing to work on the vinyl fascia installation project.  And late in the afternoon I finished the project.  The last step ... remount and re-aim the satellite dish ... the part I was dreading ... went surprisingly well.

Joanne did laundry.  I exercised our generator.  I downloaded and processed photos from yesterday's Twilight Air Show.  After sunset we walked around the dog park with Bo.  Then I went bicycling.

Tonight's episode of Saturday Night Live ... a rerun of the December 17, 2016 episode ... was so funny we watched it twice.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment