Sunday, April 2, 2017

March 26 to April 1, 2017

Sunday ;  Sunny and very warm.  Quite nice !  Joanne cooked a marinated beef roast in the Sun Oven today, producing shredded beef for supper tonight, and freezer portions for when we're travelling.

I reinforced the last of our four dinette chairs today.  However, I will have to go back to the first and second chairs that I did, and do some additional work on them.  After lunch Joanne went grocery shopping by herself to Food City.  I read and napped with the animals.

Around 6 PM Carol Mae and Kaydee invited us and Bo to walk a couple of laps around the dog park with them.  Afterwards I went bicycling at sunset.  I did some financial work on the computer, and posted my weekly journal entry to my blog.  We watched a couple of episodes of First Dates.  It's filmed in Vancouver, BC.  I'm embarrassed to see that Canadians can be so obnoxious !

Monday ;  Sunny, warm, windy.

OH, BO !  I'M SO SORRY ! ! !  < sigh >  Late this afternoon Joanne found a tooth in the Arizona room.  HUH ?  It was right about where we were wrestling his mouth open to yank out cactus quills a few days ago.  I checked his mouth and ... yes, yes ... somehow I had knocked out one of his teeth ! ! !  I feel terrible !

This morning we went shopping at Wal-Mart and Southwest Lumber.  After a late lunch at home I watered our plants and gardens, then discovered ... a flat tire on the truck. 
< sigh >...  I'll deal with that in a few days.  I finished reinforcing the dinette chairs. 
I ordered a new SIM card ( for next winter season ) from TracFone.  We walked a couple of laps around the dog park with Bo.  It was too windy for me to want to go bicycling at sunset.  I polished shoes.  I took an empty propane tank to the propane refill station.  I paid some bills online and did some "purchases to declare" accounting.

After having pizza for supper we had a movie date, watching Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, a 1987 movie starring Steve Martin and John Candy.

Tuesday ;  Sunny and very warm, windy.

This morning I took care of routine household chores.  This afternoon we went to the Humane Society for our regular Tuesday afternoon shift of dog walking and cat cuddling.  On the way there I took my sandals to a shoe repair shop to have some deteriorating elastic straps replaced with leather.  At the Humane Society I took a large dog ... Labrador Retriever mixed with Mastiff ... for a walk.  She was a very nice dog, well behaved and easily managed, and I was really pissed off to discover she was an "owner give up" ... from Kamloops, British Columbia.  Who the hell drives twenty-five hundred miles with their dog, and then dumps it on the Humane Society ? ! ?  Nice to know that Canada has their fair share of assholes ! ! !

After we returned home we went for a walk around the dog park with Carol Mae and Kaydee.  We loaded some stuff into the camper.  I sprayed silicone lubricant on the rubber gaskets that surround the trailer's slides, an annual chore that's more difficult than it sounds.  I went bicycling at sunset.  Joanne did laundry.  We watched Canadian comedy shows on TV all evening.

Wednesday ;  Los Algodones, Baja California, Mexico

Sunny, hot, windy.

This morning we left home about 10 AM and headed for Mexico.  Though Yuma to Interstate 8, west on I-8 over the Colorado River into California, then a short distance south on Hwy. 186 to the border crossing.  I arrived at my dentist's office about fifteen minutes early for my 11 AM appointment.  While I had a dental cleaning ( $45 ) and a periodontal examination ( $40 ) Joanne went for a haircut ( $5 ) and pedicure ( $10 ).  She was back before I was finished with my periodontist.  Then I went for a haircut
( $3 ) and beard trim ( $2 ).  Joanne waited outside, enjoying the sunshine and warmth.

We went to a mercado ( grocery store ) and bought some Zuko drink mixes, then a dulceria ( candy store ) to buy some of our favourite Mexican chocolate bars to take back to Canada.  I bought some medications at a farmacia, then we went to Tacos Molcas, our favourite little restaurant for lunch.  MMMMM ... I had a plata pollo asado con arroz y frijoles, and Joanne tried something new, a birria burrito.  We are never disappointed with lunch at Tacos Molcas.

After lunch we wandered slowly back through town and headed for the border crossing back into the United States.  There was a longer line up than we expected for this time of year.  We waited in line for half an hour.  We were back home about 3:30 PM.

We trimmed Bo's nails.  I worked on taking an inventory of medications, calculating what needs to be taken home with us, and what can be left here for next winter season.  We walked a couple of laps around the dog park, joined by Ransom and his dog Simona.  I went bicycling at sunset.  What pleasant weather, and what a lovely sunset.  We had our final perogy meal of the winter season.  No more perogies until we're back in Canada.  Gee ... I hope I don't suffer withdrawals.  HA HA HA !  Maybe next year we should bring more !

Thursday ;  Sunny, hot, windy.  Joanne sun dried Roma tomatoes in the Sun Oven today.

As usual, I spent much of the day on minor "end of season" maintenance chores. 
I repaired Obie's driver's door pocket.  I repaired our garden hose, replacing the connection end.  I used expanding foam insulation to seal some gaps in the shed trim underneath the fascia.  I back flushed the bathroom grey waste holding tank, an annual chore.

Just before 5 PM we headed out, first to pick up my sandals at a shoe repair shop, then to Yuma Palms Regional Shopping Center to attend Village Jazz.  I picked up my sandals, walked back to the car in the parking lot, and noticed that the repair / modification was not done as I had requested.  I returned into the shop and left my sandals to be redone the way I had requested them to be done.  And no, no ... I don't care that the problem arose because of miscommunication between the order taker / wife and the shoe repairman / husband.  Not my problem !  Fix my sandals !

Tonight's jazz performance ... the last we will attend this winter season ... was Yuma Big Band.  We've seen them before, and like them.  The weather was pleasant, the music was good.  The only sour note was the exchange of words between me and some old lady from Alberta ( Canada ) who felt she was entitled to "save" a whole lot of space for the folding chairs of her friends who had not yet arrived.  Yeah ... what part of "first come, first served" did you not understand, you old battle axe ?  I advised her that since her friends were not yet there ... and I was ... this was where I would be setting up my folding chairs !  She wasn't pleased !  Too ****ing bad !  Joanne pointed out to me that I was in a really bad mood because of the screw up with my sandals.  Really ?  I hadn’t noticed !

On the way home we stopped at Sonic to order a couple of milkshakes for dessert after supper.  We returned home and cooked a late supper, then had our milk shakes while watching the season premiere of Amazing Race.

Friday ;  Sunny, hot, windy.  Joanne continued making sun dried Roma tomatoes in the Sun Oven today.

Today was a hard working day.  First job, right after lunch, was to remove the camper off the truck.  Next, we brought the truck to our lot and changed a dually rear tire in our driveway, a very difficult job, and one that I really hate doing.  We removed the flat tire and replaced it with the spare.  I reinflated the flat tire, and will check if it loses any air overnight.  The air loss possibilities are numerous ; damage to the tire, a leaking
screw-in metal valve, a leaking 90º elbow valve attached to the screw-in metal valve, or a leaking metal braided mesh valve extender.  < sigh >

I downloaded monthly bank statements and investment file updates.  We took Bo for a two lap walk around the dog park with Carol Mae and Kaydee.  I went bicycling at sunset, then we went out for dinner.  We drove to Somerton where we were expecting the Friday evening street food fair that we had seen advertised earlier in the season, advertised as "every Friday evening".  Well ... not this Friday evening !  HMPH !  We drove back into Yuma and had dinner at Omega.  My catfish dinner was pretty good.  Joanne's veal cutlet dinner wasn't !

Saturday ;  Sunny and very warm.  Joanne cooked Teriyaki Chicken in the Sun Oven today.

This morning I found that the tire that I removed from the truck yesterday did not hold its air pressure.  It will need to be repaired before it becomes the truck's spare tire.  AND ... the formerly spare tire that was now on the truck ... had also lost air overnight.  < sigh >  I fiddled and fussed, changing the valve extender and the valve elbow before refilling the tire with air again.  Wish me luck !

Joanne went grocery shopping after lunch.  I back flushed the trailer's black waste holding tank.  I replaced a burned out bulb in one of the truck cab's roof top clearance lights.  I did some exterior cleaning on the trailer.  I did quite a bit of monthly accounting and reconciled some monthly billings.

In the evening we watched Saturday Night Live ... HA HA HA ... I'm becoming addicted to seeing Alec Baldwin as Donald Trump ... and I started work on our income tax returns.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment