Sunday, May 21, 2017

May 14 to 20, 2017

Sunday ;  Sometimes sunny and mild, sometimes cloudy and chilly.

We washed the truck camper today.  We went for a long leisurely walk with Bo during the warmest part of the day.  I mounted two lengths of solar rope lighting, one along the low wood "fence" beside the minivan and one along the top rail of the deck outside our living room.

Monday ;  Cloudy, chilly, occasional rain.

Another uninspiring, lazy, unproductive day.  I need better weather !  We watered and turned our composter today.  I spent the rest of the day reading, napping, puttering around on the computer.

Tuesday ;  Mostly cloudy, chilly, occasional light rain.  < sigh >

I did a small amount of outdoor work today.  Joanne went into Keremeos to run some errands.  I made some phone calls.  I did some paperwork.  Perogies for supper was my last meal for two days.  Colonoscopy on Thursday.

Wednesday ;
  Sunny and cool.

I had a lazy and sick day.  Gastrointestinal lavage ... for tomorrow's colonoscopy !

Thursday ;  Sunny and cool.

This morning I was up at 7 AM to take my fifth and final dose of the gastrointestinal lavage drink mixture, a terrible tasting and nauseating liquid that must be drunk quickly, in large quantity.  And as soon as you're finished drinking it ... start heading for the
toilet !

We left home at 10:30 AM and arrived in Penticton at 11:30 AM.  We stopped at Rona to buy one item and return one item before heading for Penticton Hospital.  Joanne dropped me off at the hospital then went running errands for a few hours.  I reported on time, at noon, for my colonoscopy.  I was prepped and wheeled into the procedure room right on time at 1 PM.  The procedure ended about 1:45 PM and I rested in a recovery area for about an hour.  When Joanne picked me up about 2:45 PM we drove to a local park for me to have a small lunch.  I had not eaten for forty-four hours.

When we arrived home around 5 PM or so I actually felt not too bad, all things considered.  I went to nap and ... woke up about an hour later, shivering with cold and with a fever.  HUH ?  That has never happened before !  And I have had a lot of colonoscopies over the last twenty-five years or so.

My body seemed to be having considerable difficulty fighting off the anaesthesia medications administered ; Fentanyl and Versed, a powerful analgesic and an amnesiac.  I was shivering with cold, running a fever, and was dizzy.  Joanne phoned the local South Similkameen Health Centre and was connected to the local doctor on call.  Not surprisingly ... he was useless.  My confidence in the local doctors has ... diminished a lot in the last few years.

I wanted to procrastinate heading back to Penticton Hospital, an hour away, hoping
I would improve.  Joanne wrapped me in blankets, turned on the heater in the bedroom, gave me some Gatorade to drink, and checked my temperature every fifteen minutes or so for the next hour.  After about an hour I began to feel a bit warmer, and less dizzy, although my temperature was still rising.  I got out of bed, went to the living room, and tried to relax while watching TV.

Joanne and I made some toast and soft boiled eggs for me to eat.  I ate slowly, and my fever remained, fluctuating around 102 degrees.  The more I drank Gatorade and slowly put food into my stomach, and urinated, the more my body seemed to be able to metabolize the Fentanyl and Versed drugs out of me.

Around 9 PM ... SHEEESH ... I got too hot and had to open the door to the deck to get some fresh air into the living room.  And I began to experience angina.  But ... my fever temperature dropped slowly back to normal and by about 11 PM as Amazing Race was ending ... my fever was gone, my angina was gone, and I felt comfortable, neither sweltering nor shivering.

What a strange evening ! ! !  Never had a reaction like that to a colonoscopy before ! ! !

Friday ;  Sunny and mild.  It's about time !

This morning we drove into Keremeos ( Joanne did the driving today ... I was still legally "impaired" from yesterday's anaesthesia ) and while Joanne went for a doctor's appointment I refilled our five gallon water jug then < sigh > waited for her to be finished.  Yeah ... now I remember.  The chronic inability to stay on schedule is one of the reasons why I stopped using the South Similkameen Health Centre's doctors.  We drove to Cawston and bought garden bedding plants at Little Bush's Greenhouse.

Back at home we worked on preparing for tomorrow's yard sale.  We will be trying to sell the contents of our next door neighbour's shed.  Joanne did most of the work of pricing the articles for sale.  I exercised our little generator.  I did some caulking repair on the camper.  I recently removed some ( incorrect ) latex caulking and replaced it today with ( correct ) silicone caulking.  We removed some Yucca plants from one of our flower beds and replaced them with a rhubarb plant I bought today.  Wish me luck !  I have killed the last two rhubarb plants that I have tried to grow.  And yet ... < sigh > ... everybody seems to be able to grow rhubarb like weeds !

We visited with our neighbour / friend Jeanine ... for too long.  We left her home at 8 PM to return to ours to prepare supper.  It was 9 PM by the time we sat down to eat dinner.

Saturday ;
  Sunny and very warm.  AHHHHH ... finally !

We spent most of the day attending to our yard sale, advertised in the local newspaper ; noon to 4 PM.  First buyers showed up at 8:30 AM ... pissed off that not everything was already on display.  Go pound sand, ***hole !

Almost everything in our yard sale inventory came from our next door neighbour's shed, and we were selling it all on the neighbour's behalf.  Our friend / neighbour Jeanine came over around 11 AM and added another dozen or more items from her shed.  Most of the real buyers arrived between noon and 1 PM.  We sold a half dozen or so items in that time period, and nothing else for the rest of the day.  It was a bit disappointing, but tomorrow is another day.

We met the new owners of the lot next door today.  They arrived in early afternoon.  It was the woman's first time seeing their new lot.  The husband bought it without her seeing it.  It was obvious that she was shocked and dismayed by the quantity of weeds on their lot.  Yes, yes ... without a lot of attention, the lots in this park turn into weed infested rock piles pretty darn quickly !  They spent the afternoon under the hot sun pulling weeds.  They will be back for more of the same tomorrow.  Nice to meet you, Paul and Sandy.  Welcome to the neighbourhood.

I planted my tomato garden late this afternoon.  Joanne planted her herb garden.  Tomorrow we will plant our vegetable garden.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment