Saturday, June 10, 2017

June 4 to 10, 2017

Sunday ;  Sunny and warm, cold wind in the evening.

I inspected yesterday's application of self levelling lap sealant on the roof of the camper.  After twenty-four hours the sealant has "self levelled" and dried.  Looks good !  Joanne and I worked on cleaning my work bench, then she worked on cleaning the shed floor.  I did a teensy bit of gardening.  At my desk and computer I worked on reviewing passport renewal requirements.  I fail to see what has been "simplified" in the new simplified passport renewal procedures !

I read quite a bit of a book today.  I uploaded my weekly journal to my blog.  I did a teensy bit of investment analysis.  MMMMM ... nice liver dish Joanne prepared for supper tonight.  Methinks we don't have liver often enough.  Yes, yes, I know that flies in the face of convention.

Monday ;  Sunny and warm, windy.  Joanne cooked Chicken Parmagiana in the Sun Oven today.

I watered all our plants and gardens.  I watered and turned our composter.  I checked the truck tire pressures.  I adjusted my bicycle tire pressures.  I returned a book to the library in our RV park’s clubhouse and picked up some new books to read.  I did some review and rearrangement of spare parts / repair parts stored in the camper.

We took Bo for a walk.  After lunch Joanne did laundry.  I napped.  Then I remounted some shelving in the hallway closet, installing anchors in the walls and screws in the mounting brackets.  I went bicycling.  We took Bo for another walk, and picked up the mail.  Oh, boy ... a couple of items I had recently ordered arrived today ; a Canada National Parks pass, and a “150th Birthday” Canadian coin mint set.  With the “glow in the dark” Aurora Borealis on the two dollar / “toonie” coin.  First “glow in the dark” coin in the world !

Tuesday ;  Sunny, very warm, a bit windy.

Joanne went to Penticton on her own today, for a day of running errands by herself.  That gave me a chance to have a pretty lazy day, with a lot of reading and napping with the animals.

Wednesday ;  Sunny and hot.

This morning I was hired to transport a fifth wheel trailer from Osoyoos to Winfield tomorrow, a distance of about 160 km./100 miles.  Right up my alley, so to speak !  Also ... I was contacted by e-mail and phone by a couple in Ottawa whom we met last fall while they were in the process of buying a lot in this RV park.  They asked for our assistance in getting their lot cleared of weeds, after getting a generic "warning" from the RV park.

So ... this afternoon we worked on weeding their lot.  Joanne did most of the work.  Bending over and pulling weeds in the hot sun causes me angina discomfort.  I'm not kidding !  We also prepared the truck for trailer towing tomorrow.  I pulled the truck out from underneath the camper, we unloaded the rubber mat and plywood sections from the bed of the truck, we carried the fifth wheel hitch from the shed to the truck (angina !) and I loaded and installed the fifth wheel hitch in the bed of the truck (more angina !).  And I loaded all the rest of the supplies and tools / equipment needed for trailer towing jobs, including our little generator and air compressor.

We visited with our neighbour and friend Jeanine.  I had a play session with her dog Charlie.  Poor Charlie ... nobody plays with Charlie except me.  I went over to see a neighbour whose wife died six days ago, and expressed my condolences.  His wife had advanced Alzheimer's and has been in a care facility in Penticton for the last few years.  We've known both of them for about ten years, long before she began to deteriorate.  Rest in peace, Hazel !

Thursday ;  Overcast, warm, humid, rain late in the afternoon.

This morning we left home at 10 AM in the truck, prepared and equipped for a trailer towing job.  East on Hwy. 3, through Keremeos and Cawston, we arrived in Osoyoos right on time at 11 AM.  The fifth wheel trailer we were transporting had been used for the last three years as an office for a helicopter tour operator located at the Nk'Mip Resort.  So ... it was parked with the front / king pin very close to the helicopter landing zone fence.  It was a very difficult hitch up, having to back up the truck underneath the front end of the trailer at a ninety degree angle, with the hip of the truck a fraction of an inch from the fence, and the bed rail of the truck a fraction of an inch from the king pin hitch box.  BUT ... that's why I get paid the big bucks !  HA HA HA !  Seriously, though ... that's why I get hired !  I'm extremely good at what I do !

Once we had the trailer hitched up ... and all four tires reinflated ... good thing I always bring along both a generator and an air compressor ... we were on our way about noon, back through Osoyoos and headed north on Hwy. 97.  To and through Oliver, Okanagan Falls, Penticton, and Summerland.  Between Summerland and Peachland the wind became strong.  So strong that the large waves forming on the very high waters of Okanagan Lake began to crash over what little remains of the beach and onto the highway.  SHEESH !  Water and debris splashing over the highway !  Recently installed concrete barriers placed on the shoulder of the highway as a dike were being knocked over and into the lake by the waves.

To and through Peachland and Kelowna, with its twenty-four hour per day traffic congestion, and up into the "high rent district" in the hills of Winfield, high above Okanagan Lake, we arrived at the cherry orchard where we were delivering the trailer shortly after 3 PM.  We got the trailer carefully positioned and unhitched, and were leaving the client's orchard property at 4 PM.  It began to rain moments after we had finished the job.  It took us two hours to get back to and through Kelowna in rush hour traffic !  At 6 PM we stopped in Westbank to buy Swiss Chalet take-out for supper, and refill with diesel at Superstore Fuel Bar.

There was a traffic jam at Peachland where Okanagan Lake had been flooding over the highway all day.  There were workmen at the site of the problem, but nothing seemed to be getting accomplished.  Some sort of a Public Works cluster**** !  From Peachland, to and through Summerland and Penticton, then onto Hwy. 3A at Kaleden to Hwy. 3 at Keremeos, home at 8 PM.  Long day, ten hours, 400 km. / 250 miles.

The Swiss Chalet chicken dinner was a great treat.



Friday ;  Mostly sunny and warm.

Yesterday, with Bo in the truck with us all day, we discovered that he had a severe earache.  Last night and again this morning I administered strong anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal ear drops.  Hopefully the problem will be resolved within a few days.

This afternoon I filleted a couple of salmon Joanne bought in Penticton a few days ago.  Then we prepared them for barbecuing tomorrow, using a very special "secret" recipe that we have had for many years.  The special barbecued salmon dinner is for American visitors we are expecting to arrive tomorrow.  AND ... we discovered ... ... guess which recently immigrated cat LOOOOOVES raw salmon ?  HA HA HA !

Joanne went into town to run some errands.  I worked on cleaning and sorting the trailer towing equipment and supplies in the truck.  I left it all in the truck because we have another trailer towing job to do in a couple of days.  Our next door neighbours asked for my help late this afternoon, to assist the buyer of their decrepit, old Mercedes Benz get it loaded onto a flat bed trailer.  Good riddance to that piece of junk that was nothing but an eyesore in their yard for many years now !  It's too bad that Gord has waited until he is at death's door before getting rid of unwanted and unneeded "stuff".  < shaking head in  despair >

This afternoon we continued, and finished, weeding lot 79, as we had been recently asked / "hired" to do by the new owners whom we met last year when they were buying their lot.  Joanne hand picked all the weeds on the lot, a very difficult job to do. 
I sprayed strong herbicide on all the weeds and vines growing in the rock wall at the rear of the lot.




Saturday ;  Cloudy, chilly, intermittent light rain.  BRRRRR !

We were expecting our American friends David and Linda to arrive yesterday.  They didn't !  So we were expecting them to arrive today.  They didn't !  Hopefully tomorrow !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment