Sunday, July 22, 2018

July 15 to 21, 2018

Sunday ;  Sunny and very hot.  Joanne baked a rhubarb cake in the Sun Oven today, as well as preparing the potato dish for tonight's supper in the Sun Oven.

On hot days like this it's difficult to find the motivation to do much work.  One of today's priorities was to phone our Oregon friend Eilene to congratulate her on reaching
ninety-seven years of age.  Yesterday was her birthday.  I deboned the candied Rainbow Trouts that I made in the Sun Oven yesterday.  DARN !  I left them in the Sun Oven a bit too long, they were overdone.  We went to the swimming pool, but just to cool down, not to do cardiac exercises.  I did some truck maintenance records keeping.  I made arrangements to attend the weekly dinner next Sunday at the Portuguese Multicultural Society in Penticton, after we attend a Many Hats Theatre performance.

In the evening ... after barbecuing a wonderful supper ... I posted my weekly journal entry to my blog, and did routine weekly investments summary updates. HMMM ... seem to have made a lot of money last week !

Monday ;  Sunny and very hot, temperature 99º F / 38.5º C at 5:15 PM when we walked Ozzie.  Joanne cooked beef ribs in the Sun Oven today.

Another day that was too hot to do much of anything.  I used to relish hot weather but now ... not so much.  Did my cardiac bypass surgery change something within me ?  Stamina / tolerance for heat ?  < shrug >

This morning we removed the rear seat from the minivan, then carefully loaded our four pieces of artwork for sale into the minivan.  Tomorrow we'll be taking them to Kelowna for an appraisal.  I checked the air pressure in all of the truck's and minivan's tires.  WHEW ... that's actually a pretty difficult chore in 100 degree sunshine.

Indoors, I paid some bills online, and reconciled our Bank of America statement.  We took Ozzie for a walk at 5 PM, watched the 5:30 PM news on TV, then at 6 PM went to the swimming pool to do exercises.  Somebody's two young granddaughters, about six and eight years of age, were in the pool.  They found our exercise routines amusing, so ... they joined in with us.  The older one asked why I had such a large scar on my chest.  I explained my cardiac surgery in simple terms.  Both girls screwed up their noses as if they had just smelled something distasteful.  HA HA HA !  The older girl thought my surgery was "gross, but interesting".

Tuesday ;  Kelowna


Sunny and hot with a brief but violent thunderstorm around suppertime.

We left home at 10:15 AM heading for Kelowna and a meeting with the owner of an auction house.  We brought him our four pieces of artwork for sale.  < sigh >  His appraisal / estimate of sale prices was exceptionally disheartening, but ... we ( read that as "I" ) should have never put these pieces of art into storage fourteen years ago !  Should have sold them then !  We left them to be sold at auction on Thursday evening.  Life will go on !

From the auction house we went to a pawn shop that had an ad on Castanet for a GPS unit I was interested in.  My interest disappeared immediately upon the pawn shop salesman telling me that the three year old GPS unit was no longer able to be updated.  Goodbye !  Your GPS unit is worthless !  Last stop in Kelowna was Princess Auto to buy an advertised item.

We left Kelowna and drove to West Kelowna / Westbank for a late lunch at Kekuli Café, an Indigenous restaurant that we have been to before.  But will not be returning to after today's disappointing experience.  They have "migrated" from being a café into being a coffee shop.  My venison Indian bannock taco was ... okay.  Joanne thought the venison meat tasted like rancid liver.  HA HA HA !  Joanne's chili Indian bannock taco was unsatisfactory, in her opinion.  My "custom made" ... HA HA HA ... Saskatoon milk shake was pretty darn good, although rather expensive.  Since this was an Indigenous owned and operated business, and they bake muffins and cookies with Saskatoon berries, I found it rather odd that they had never been asked for a Saskatoon milk shake before.  I guess you can take the Indian out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the Indian.  HA HA HA < SNORT > HA HA !

From Westbank through Peachland, Summerland, Penticton, and Keremeos, we were home around 5 PM.

Wednesday ;  Penticton


Sunny and hot.  We left home this morning about 10:45 AM taking both vehicles. 
I dropped the truck off in Keremeos for service, and we continued in the minivan to Penticton.  On the way we stopped at the rest area at Yellow Lake so that I could use the bathroom.  As I walked back to the car ... < sputter > ... a female Mallard duck with MANY babies was trying to cross the busy highway.  I ran over to the road, and ... "herded" the duck family to safety.  HA HA HA ... at first Joanne, who was waiting in the car, did not understand why I was hurrying over to the highway after coming out of the bathroom.  When she saw what I was doing, she laughed out loud.

In Penticton I dropped Joanne off at Value Village then went to run some errands by myself.  I refilled the minivan with fuel, then bought all the parts I need to fabricate and install a winterization bypass kit on the camper's water heater at Midtown RV, Home Hardware, and Leisureland RV.  I picked Joanne up at Value Village and we shopped at Dollarama before having lunch at Burger King.

After lunch I went for my first appointment with my new family doctor.  I was pleased and impressed.  His front office receptionist / assistant was friendly and efficient.  I was seen by the doctor a few minutes before my appointment time !  What a pleasant change ! ! !  The young doctor was friendly, and engaged, and efficient, and ... seemed quite competent.  Again ... what a pleasant change ! ! !

After my doctor's appointment we spent the rest of the afternoon shopping at Wal-Mart and Superstore.  We left Penticton around 4:30 PM.  In Keremeos we stopped to buy some fresh produce at Sanderson Farms.  We were back home around 6 PM.

As we pulled into our driveway our neighbour Betty was in the alleyway scowling at the yard of the neighbour between her and us.  He had been here yesterday for the first time in nine months.  He spent about six hours cleaning the five foot tall weeds in his yard, then left !  But ... not before disturbing a massively huge hornet's nest underneath his home's entry steps.  Many angry hornets were buzzing around, displeased that their home had been disturbed, fractured into four large segments and left on the ground. 
I hope that the asshole got stung when he discovered the nest !  Betty and I agreed to meet at 9 PM and we would both use whatever hornet eradication sprays we each could find in our sheds.

At 9 PM Betty came over for our hornet killing date.  HA HA HA !  She used all the hornet spray she had, and I used almost all of a large can that I had.  I sure hope that ends that problem !

Thursday ;
  Sunny and hot, windy in the evening.

At 11:45 AM we left home heading for Keremeos, and our noon lunch date at Benja Thai Restaurant with previous neighbours / old friends Mitch and Diane.  We treated them to lunch as a gesture of appreciation for sending some trailer towing business our way recently.  Thank you, Diane.  We were finished eating lunch around 1 PM but sat in the restaurant chatting until they turned the lights off at 3:30 PM.  HA HA HA !  They close each day from 3 PM to 4:30 PM to clean up after lunch and prepare for dinner.

After taking the "lights out" hint we ran errands in town.  Joanne ran errands using the minivan.  I paid for and picked up the truck at the new auto repair facility in town.  I went to the South Similkameen Health Centre a.k.a. Keremeos Clinic and selected a laboratory appointment time for Monday for a blood test ordered yesterday by my new family doctor.  Last stop in town for me was to drop off new prescription orders at the pharmacy.

Back at home we sat at our picnic table and trimmed Emma's claws, and gave both Emma and Ozzie some hair trims.  Ozzie on the face and Emma ... uhhhhh ... not on the face.  HA HA HA !

Friday ;
  Mix of sun and clouds, hot, windy.  I baked potatoes and eggs for potato salad in the Sun Oven today, challenging because the sun kept disappearing behind clouds.

This morning I phoned the auction house in Kelowna to find out how much our four pieces of artwork sold for last night at auction.  The results ... made me cry.  I'm not kidding !  < deep sigh >  You win some, you lose some, I guess.  Time to move on !

This afternoon I worked on fabricating and installing a winterization bypass kit on the water heater in the camper.  I finished the project today.  It went a bit better than expected.  We went to the swimming pool and did cardiac exercises.  We took some weeds and other yard and gardening waste down to the burn pile / compost area down by the river.  I wanted to examine the river, in anticipation of going fishing soon now that the river level has receded.  < blink blink >  Holy Mackerel ... the river has completely changed.  Deep holes are ... gone.  The river bed is completely ... changed !  My upstream "secret fishing hole" looks like ... it's not there any more ! ! !  I won't know for sure until the river flow slows enough that I can walk across the river and then walk upstream.

Saturday ;
  Sunny early in the day, cloudy late in the day, very warm, windy.

This afternoon I reinstalled the sacrificial anode drain plug into the truck camper's water heater, refilled the water heater, heated the water, and checked the sacrificial anode drain plug and all the winterization bypass plumbing for leaks.  Everything's okay so far.  I will check again tomorrow.  I inspected the new U-joints in the rear driveshaft of the truck.  I went fly fishing for about half an hour but ... the water is still flowing too fast, and it was too windy.  I had a profanity laced screaming match with the moron next door neighbour who confronted me about his "few weeds".  ASSHOLE !  Most of the profanity came from me.  So ... at least now he knows what I think of him !  And his "few weeds" ! ! !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment