Sunday, July 29, 2018

July 22 to 28, 2018

Sunday ;  Penticton

Sunny and hot.

We left home at 1 PM heading for Penticton.  We had tickets to attend the 2 PM performance of Many Hats Theatre's production of the play "Self Help".  It was a funny play, well done.  After the play ended around 4 PM we drove to the Portuguese
Multi-Cultural Centre for their weekly 5 PM Portuguese Sunday dinner.  We were there by 4:15 PM so we parked then walked a couple of blocks to the beach on Okanagan Lake and sat for awhile.   The air was filled with so much smoke from the wildfire at nearby Peachland that my eyes were stinging.

Portuguese dinner was quite good, a spicy chicken and potato dish.  The woman in charge was welcoming and hospitable, seating us and visiting with us repeatedly throughout the evening.  We ate dinner and chatted with her, an old man, and a woman who was the cook of tonight's dinner.  We left there around 7 PM because we needed to get home and take care of Ozzie's "needs".

Monday ;  Mix of sun and clouds, hot.

At 10:30 AM we headed for Keremeos.  I had an appointment at 10:50 AM at the medical laboratory in the South Similkameen Health Centre / Keremeos Clinic to have blood drawn for tests ordered by my new family doctor.  While I was at the clinic Joanne went produce shopping.  After finishing at the clinic I went to the pharmacy to pick up some prescriptions, then to FasGas to have a propane tank refilled.

This afternoon we did some yard and gardening work.  I watered our composter. 
I picked peas from our garden.  What a poor production of peas this year.  All pods held only four peas.  I harvested tomatoes.  As always, my cherry tomato plants are producing far more than the regular tomato plants.  And ... the "golden" cherry tomato plant I bought at the nursery is inexplicably producing "golden" regular sized tomatoes.  HUH ?  The nursery must have screwed up their tomato plant labelling.  We picked two pails of Transparent Apples from our RV park's orchard.  Joanne likes to make apple sauce with the early ripening Transparent Apples.  Late in the afternoon we went to the swimming pool to do cardiac exercises.

Tuesday ;  Penticton

Sunny and hot, outdoor temperature in the shade when we returned home at 5 PM was 92º F / 33.5º C.

This morning we left home around 11 AM heading for a day of errands in Penticton.  First stop was Value Village where I bought three pairs of swimming trunks for myself, Joanne bought herself a blouse, and I bought a barbecue spatula / turner.  Tuesday is seniors' discount day at Value Village !  Next was lunch at Subway.  BUT ... before having lunch at Subway we went to have lunch at Tim Horton's.  The staff were so inept ... two of them ... at taking our rather simple lunch order, that in frustration
I walked away and we went to Subway instead.  Still hard to get good help, je suppose !

I refilled the minivan with fuel, we shopped at Wal-Mart and Superstore, and were back at home around 5 PM.  I napped, barbecued supper, and we watched Amazing Race Canada.

Wednesday ;
  Sunny and very hot, hazy with wildfire smoke late in the afternoon.  Joanne cooked my favourite Sun Oven meal today, a Mexican chicken and rice dish.  As the smoke haze increased throughout the afternoon, the Sun Oven temperature slowly declined.

I reinstalled a refilled propane tank in the camper.  The camper is ready for our next adventure !  I did a very minor repair in the minivan.  I removed an access hatch to underneath our home and measured for a plumbing fitting I require for a modification project.

Late in the afternoon we attended a "farewell" in the clubhouse for a long term resident of the park who is leaving at the end of the month.  Then we had a long chat with some neighbours, standing on the road near their home.  That long chat with neighbours gobbled up our pool exercise time.  TSK TSK !

After supper I reconciled our monthly MasterCard statement.  WOW ... < blink blink > ... some months are certainly more expensive than others, aren't they ? ! ?

Thursday ;
  Sunny and hot.  Some wildfire smoke haze.  Joanne baked an apple cake in the Sun Oven today.

Before using the Sun Oven today we partially dismantled it and cleaned it thoroughly. 
I also did some cleaning in the shed today.  Late in the afternoon we went to the swimming pool and did an exercise session.

Friday ;  Sunny and hot, temperature 91.5º F / 33º C at 5 PM.  I made sun dried Roma tomatoes in the Sun Oven today.

We went to town ( Keremeos ) this morning.  I refilled the truck with diesel.  We refilled our five gallon water jug at the water refill machine in town.  We bought fresh local produce at Sanderson Farms.  Watermelon !  Nectarines !  Freestone peaches !  Small cucumbers !  Patty Pan Squash !  And a couple of pakoras for lunch !  I picked up five prescriptions at Similkameen Pharmacy.

At home this afternoon I harvested tomatoes.  I returned a book to the library.  I went bicycling.  I prepared for tomorrow's park wide yard sale.  I have two items to sell.  I set up a table on the road below our rock slope "front yard", with the two items and an "honour pay" jar.

In the evening I worked on some trip planning / motel reservations for an upcoming
( possible ) very long distance trailer towing job.

Saturday ;
  Sunny and very hot, temperature 96º F / 36º C at 5:30 PM when we walked Ozzie, hotter earlier in the day.  Joanne cooked zucchini lasagna in the Sun Oven today.

This morning I prepared the truck for an upcoming trailer towing job.  I installed the fifth wheel hitch, and loaded all the necessary trailer towing equipment and supplies.  Next Monday with temperature forecast to be 105º F I will be towing a 14,000 pound trailer up the extremely long and steep ascent of the Coquihalla Highway / "Highway Thru Hell" from Merritt to Hope, on my way from Winfield to Surrey.  Wish me luck !  Let's see if Lanoire the truck is still up to that kind of extreme task !

This afternoon I worked indoors, at my desk.  I did prescription accounting and records keeping.  I posted some ads on Kijiji for items for sale.  I continued work on trip planning and motel reservations for an upcoming very long distance trailer towing job in a couple of weeks.  Maybe !  The client has not been communicative so ... who knows ? ? ?

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment