Sunday, September 6, 2020

August 30 to September 5, 2020

 Sunday ; Cloudy and warm during the day, raining and chilly in the evening.

On our early walk around noon we took two picking pails and while walking through our park’s orchard we picked two pails full of plums.

I did my weekly update of our investments and posted my weekly journal to my blog. I bought a water heater for our home. It was an advertised special in this week’s Canadian Tire flyer, and I bought it online for pickup at the Penticton store. This was the final year that our home insurer would provide coverage for any losses incurred due to water heater malfunction due to its age. So … the water heater needs to be replaced before our policy must be renewed next spring.

Monday ; Cloudy, very warm.

After lunch we went into Keremeos and ran errands ; refill water jug, buy advertised specials at grocery store, etc.

I did some gardening work, harvesting lettuce and tomatoes, replanting lettuce, etc. In the evening I retrieved month end bank statements and investment updates.

Tuesday ; Penticton

Sunny and hot.

After lunch we headed to Penticton to pick up the water heater I ordered from Canadian Tire. We ran a few other errands while in Penticton, and after picking up the water heater at Canadian Tire we ordered and picked up a take-out dinner at a new barbecue restaurant.

We had ordered $20 (plus taxes) worth of food. Our bill was $25 (plus taxes). When Joanne brought the error to the attention of the restaurant manager (owner ?) the manager (owner ?) got pissy and claimed that their prices had increased today. Joanne pointed out that the price was $20 on their website this morning. The owner flipped a $5 bill at Joanne. Joanne decided it wasn’t worth pursuing the additional 25¢ tax error. HMPH … I would have !

We understand that the pandemic has taken its toll on small businesses, and many may not be able to survive. But as long as their doors remain open … please don’t take out your frustrations on your customers ! ! !

So … we decided before we had even eaten any of Smugglers Smokehouse’s food that this would be not only the first, but also the last, time we would order food from them. Good decision, because … their food was not good ! Their brisket was just overcooked roast beef with cold barbecue sauce served on the side. The potato salad was tasty, but extremely over salted. The cole slaw was tasteless, except for being extremely over peppered !

Wednesday ; Sunny, very warm, windy in the afternoon.

Joanne went to Penticton this morning and spent the day running shopping errands.

I had my first appointment (by video meeting) with the Medical Weight Management Clinic in the Vancouver area. The meeting lasted an hour and involved two doctors. So far, I’m impressed and encouraged. The primary doctor I dealt with was extremely impressed with the results of my 28 blood tests and ECG. He said that he has never had an old fat man enter their program that was in such good health as me. Especially one who has had triple bypass surgery. HA HA HA ! Again … must be all that clean living I did in the 70’s. HA HA HA <SNORT> HA HA !

This afternoon I did some routine household chores, and gardening, then began to prepare to go fishing. But … because of the wind I decided to postpone my fishing until tomorrow. Wind makes fly fishing difficult, especially for someone lacking in experience and skill like me.

Joanne was tired when she returned from her day of shopping in Penticton. So … I made supper. Beefsteak poutine ! Excellent ! HEY … why not ? My heart’s healthy ! HA HA HA ! And … following my obesity doctor’s first instruction/objective for me, I discarded the last 5% of my meal.

Thursday ; Sunny and hot.

After an early lunch we headed into Keremeos. I went for a haircut while Joanne went produce shopping. After my haircut we went to the grocery store to buy some advertised specials. WOO-HOO … more Coho Salmon !

Late in the afternoon I went fishing for an hour or so. HMPH … caught and released two large Mountain Whitefish. Rainbow Trout in abundance surface feeding on hatching bugs. BUT … would they take the dry fly lures I was offering ? NOOOOO ! ! !

Yesterday I was within spitting distance of reaching my investment target of 25% growth on the investment I made just over four months ago. So … this morning I sent my investment advisor/stock broker “sell” instructions. Then, while watching the noon news on TV while eating lunch, I discovered … NOOOOO … the stock markets were crashing ! F*** ! ! ! Story of my life ! ! !

Friday ; Sunny and hot. Joanne cooked a peach pie in the Sun Oven this morning, and Moroccan Chicken in the Sun Oven this afternoon.

I spent the day replacing our water heater. All things considered, the job went reasonably well. A few days ago I purchased a new water heater at Canadian Tire. On sale, of course. I needed to get the water heater in our home replaced by next spring. As of next spring, our home’s original water heater would have reached the uninsurable age of fifteen years old. So I had been watching for a sale price on the right size of water heater.

Our water heater is behind a panel in our bedroom closet. So the bedroom closet contents, and the bed, and other things in the bedroom were repositioned/relocated to allow for the removal of the old water heater and the installation of the new water heater. That included the temporary relocation of Emma’s laundry basket bed <rolling my eyes>. The whole day while I was working on the water heater Emma was pacing around loudly vocalizing her displeasure. She is VERY unhappy about change ! Eventually, when she convinced herself that I wasn’t “listening”, she stomped over to her laundry basket bed in the kitchen, climbed in and … peed in it ! ****ing cat logic !

Saturday ; Sunny and hot. I made liquid smoked, maple syrup candied Coho Salmon in the Sun Oven today.

Before loading our old water heater into the back of our minivan to take it to the dump tomorrow I thought it would be good idea to cannibalize the two heating elements out of it. No sense throwing away perfectly good electrical elements, might as well keep them as spares. As a matter of fact, I felt that way about the entire water heater. The only reason I replaced it was because of insurance. I disassembled and removed the upper element. YIKES ! YUCK ! What a lot of mineral deposits and corrosion !  I reinstalled the upper element, then Joanne helped me load the water heater into the back of the minivan.

This afternoon I did some routine maintenance on the truck, then Joanne helped me load the camper onto the bed of the truck. I should have waited for a few hours. It was extremely hot in mid-afternoon, and working in heat and sun makes Joanne ill. <sigh> After installing the camper onto the truck we went to the swimming pool to do an exercise session. And cool down ! In the evening I did some work on my obesity clinic “homework”.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment