Sunday, March 6, 2016

February 28 to March 5, 2016

Sunday ; Sunny and hot.

This morning we picked up Laszlo and Gail, and headed to Lettuce Days at the Arizona Western College research farm. We spent most of the day there. Lettuce Days is a two day annual event celebrating agriculture in the Yuma area. We attended a couple of cooking demonstrations. We had a huge vegetable lunch. We attended a "Toast To The Fieldworkers" special event where old Mexican field workers told stories ( in Spanish, translated into English ) about their lives as farm field workers. We collected quite a bit of "swag", including bags of different types of lettuce. We sampled many different types of citrus fruits. We listened to live music. We talked to university professors about farming.

On the way home we stopped at Lowe's and I bought a few items I needed. Back at home Joanne and I went to the regular Sunday late afternoon ice cream social.

Monday ; Sunny and hot. Joanne baked spinach lasagna in the Sun Oven.

This morning I attended a meeting at the request of the audit committee chairman who was unable to attend, to represent the audit committee on his behalf. It has become apparent to me that I will soon have to advise those who care that my commitment to the audit committee ends when we leave here in a month. Afterwards I returned a phone call to my gastroenterologist's office in Penticton. They were phoning to discuss some health care plans for me upon our return home in mid-April.

This afternoon I watered all our plants and cactus gardens. I did some minor maintenance on the trailer's water heater. I measured and sawed some pieces of wood for a project. Gee ... my power saw blade was dull. I removed it and discarded it, and installed another blade. We trimmed Bo's dew claws. I put away Bo's agility equipment that was in the dog park behind our rear yard fence. I worked on the truck camper roof project, removing the black tank and grey tank vent pipe roof caps, in preparation for the installation of two Extreme Vents.

When I returned to our trailer after working on the truck camper in the storage yard our neighbours Joe and Alene had just returned from their cruise to Hawaii. They were eager to retrieve Lucy. Because I had taken our truck to the storage yard they thought we weren't home, and were unaware that Joanne was inside the trailer with Bo and Lucy. Not surprisingly, Lucy was VERY excited that her people were home. Nothing better than a "dog reunion". HA HA HA ! Goodbye, Lucy ! You're a sweet little Dachshund. It was nice to have you with us for the last seventeen days.

In the evening I retrieved month end bank statements and investment updates.

Tuesday ; Sunny and hot.

This morning Joanne went to buy some dog food at PetsMart while I took care of chores at home. After lunch we loaded our recycling into the truck and headed to the recycle place on our way to the Humane Society for our regular Tuesday afternoon shift of dog walking and cat cuddling. It's surprising how much recycling we take in about once a month or so.

I am suffering from an earache / inner ear infection. That affected my dog walking this afternoon. After only an hour or so of dog walking I went inside to cuddle cats which
I usually do only briefly after about two hours of dog walking. Today I cuddled cats for about an hour. There was a Lilac Point Applehead Siamese that reminded me a lot of Sully.

Back at home I napped briefly before we took Bo for a late afternoon walk around the dog park. Just us, no pack. Lucy has gone back home. Riley has left for the season. Spanky is not here. Don't know where Saxon is. I went bicycling at sunset. I barbecued steak for supper. Joanne made a grilled potatoes and spinach salad. We spent the evening watching Canadian comedy shows on TV ; Rick Mercer Report, 22 Minutes, Trailer Park Boys, Schitt's Creek. HA HA HA !

Wednesday ; Mostly sunny and hot.

This morning we attended a meeting of the Activities Committee. We were asked to do so by the chairman of the Welcome Committee, to lend support to a Welcome Committee issue. Goodness gracious, great balls of fire ! ! ! That was my first, and will certainly be my last, Activities Committee meeting. What petty, power mongering, pissing contest nonsense ! ! ! Like attending an annual general meeting at Riverside RV Park Resort back home in BC !

This afternoon Joanne went off by herself once again to run some shopping errands.
I took care of routine household chores, had lunch, took a brief nap, then went to the storage area to continue working on the truck camper roof project. I removed the two waste tank vent pipe cap bases. I was a bit surprised and a bit annoyed to discover some poor quality workmanship done in the Lance factory when the camper was manufactured. I guess every company of every sort is only as good as their worst employee !

We took Bo for a walk around the dog park. I went bicycling at sunset. We gave Bo a bath before preparing supper. We had supper and watched an evening of TV ; Catfish, Survivor, and Hell's Kitchen.

Thursday ; Thin cloud cover, hot, humid. Joanne started cooking Chicken Chile Verde in the Sun Oven but had to finish it on the stove inside the trailer.

This morning I went shopping for some hardware items at Arizona MarketPlace, the nearby large flea market. While there I bumped into a neighbour ... who asked for a ride home. HA HA HA ! His wife had dropped him off at the flea market and was going to pick him up on her way back home from doing something else. He was tired of waiting. HA HA HA !

This afternoon we both did some computer and phone work. Then ... < sigh > ... we washed the truck. Joanne did laundry. I took Bo for a walk around the dog park perimeter. I went bicycling at sunset. I reconciled February's bank statements and updated investment files.

Friday ; Thin cloud cover, hot, humid.

Late this morning we headed east to The Foothills to shop at Al's RV Service & Supply's monthly 15% off day. I needed five items for the truck camper roof project. I bought two and special ordered the other three. Hopefully those three items will arrive by next Tuesday. While I was at Al's RV Service & Supply Joanne was shopping at the nearby 99¢ Only Store. We had lunch at Burger King then, on the way home, stopped at Wally's World to buy some hardware.

This afternoon I met with the chairman of the audit committee and we worked out some audit committee issues. < sigh > I'm looking forward to the end of my audit committee commitment when we leave here in just a bit more than three weeks.

At 5 PM Laszlo and Gail picked us up in their truck and we headed out for a fast food dinner ... for the second time today we had a meal at Burger King ... before heading over to Sun Desert Stadium for the Friday evening tribute concerts at Midnight At The Oasis, the annual classic and antique car show here in Yuma. We wandered around looking at classic cars until the first tribute band's performance started at 7:15 PM. They were a Blues Brother tribute band, and quite good. The second band was an Aerosmith tribute. I'm not really a fan of Aerosmith, but the tribute band performance was good.

We didn't arrive back home until after 11 PM, a pretty late evening for us old folks !

Saturday ; Cloudy, hot, humid.

In the middle of the night ... around 2:30 AM ... Joanne became very ill ! VERY ILL ! Food poisoning, it would seem. After a period of extreme illness, she fell asleep until late morning when she awoke feeling a bit nauseous, and quite weak. She remained in bed until early afternoon, and continued to feel queasy and weak throughout the day.

I puttered around until late afternoon when Joanne felt strong enough to come to the storage yard and help me briefly with the truck camper Extreme Vent installation project. Today I accomplished as much as possible until I obtain the remaining materials required, hopefully Tuesday.

This evening we watched an interesting documentary movie on "famous" back up singers.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment