Sunday, March 27, 2016

March 20 to 26, 2016

Sunday ; Sunny and hot. As it should be here at this time of the year. Joanne cooked chili in the Sun Oven today.

We had a slow start to the day. We did Bo-gility. Well done, Bo, good dog. Joanne thinks that I am "pushing" Bo too hard in doing agility. He's an old dog. Maybe what I'm "pushing" him to do is becoming too hard for his creaky old joints. Certainly my knees are not capable of doing what they could when I was younger. She thinks it's probably the same for him. Okay ... I'll lighten up on my Bo-gility expectations.

After an early lunch we headed to Swap Meet Los Perros a.k.a. the dog track flea market for our final visit of this winter season. I could not get some of the hardware items I was looking for, to replenish hardware that I used this past season. And ...
< sniffle > ... there were no artichokes at the produce vendors' stands yet. I bought a couple of "hecho en Mexico" leather belts cheaper than I could buy them in Mexico. HEY ... it's the end of the season. If vendors don't move their merchandise now, it's going to sit around and collect dust for the next seven months.

It was so hot today ... how hot was it, you might ask ... that when we returned home Joanne took a nap, a rare occurrence for her. Bo and I decided we might as well join her. HA HA HA ! After napping briefly ... I was the first one up ... I puttered around with some "preparation for departure" spring chores. I took Bo for a walk around the dog park at 5:30, and when we were done it was time for Joanne and I to head to the 6 PM Sunday ice cream social. We chatted with friends in the clubhouse until 8 PM then returned to our trailer to have our Sun Oven cooked chili for supper. AND ... to watch
"I Am Cait" on TV.

Monday ; Sunny and hot.

We had a bit of a slow, lazy day, partially due to the heat. Joanne did some laundry.
I did some spring cleaning.

At 6 PM we were picked up by our Texas retired lawyer friends Bill and Candace in their truck, and we headed out for a dinner of "street food". First stop was an El Salvadoran food truck to have papusas and tamal Salvadoreña, washed down with aqua frescas Jamaica ( pronounced "ham eye eeka" ). Next stop was a Mexican "food stand" where we had some tostadas and tacos ... and papas con queso ( fries smothered in nacho cheese ).

On the way home we dropped Joanne off at Wal-Mart to do some shopping. When Bill and Candace dropped me off at home I got in our truck and went back to pick Joanne up at Wal-Mart.

Tuesday ; Very warm and windy, sky obscured by blowing sand ... a desert storm.

I spent the morning doing routine chores, including "money shuffling" and bill paying.

After lunch we left earlier than usual for our Tuesday shift at the Humane Society. We were responding to an e-mail plea for help with grooming some dogs that had been transferred in from the Humane Society of Imperial County in El Centro, a Mexican American small city west of here in California, about halfway to San Diego. We gave haircuts to Samuel, a Miniature Poodle, and Bear, a medium sized mutt. Both had extremely long, matted, filthy hair. Samuel had many scabs, and dried out eye gunk so thick that one eye was barely open. Poor fellow. Both of them could not be bathed because they had both been neutered today, but haircuts relived both of them of a lot of misery, especially Samuel. In addition to a haircut, we washed Samuel's face and eyes, and plucked and cleaned inside his filthy ears. When we started he was a suffering, miserable little cur. When we were done, he was an energetic, happy, tail wagging little dog.

It was satisfying to make a difference in their lives.

We spent more time at the Humane Society than we usually do. When we returned home we walked Bo around the dog park before leaving again to run some shopping errands. One of our shopping stops was to buy dog food at PetsMart so ...
WOO-HOO ... Bo got to go "drivey". We bought some soft drinks at Walgreens and some groceries at Albertsons before buying some take home fast food at Sonic for supper.

Wednesday ; Los Algodones, Baja California, Mexico

Sunny, warm, a bit windy. We spent a long, tiring day in Mexico.

This morning we loaded up our recycling and headed out. We dropped off the recycling and headed for a medical supply company to pick up Joanne's special order. Finally we headed west on Interstate 8 across the Colorado River into California, then to the border crossing into Mexico.

First stop was Tere's Beauty & Barber Shop for haircuts for both of us. And a beard trim for me, obviously. Well ! Best haircut and beard trim I've ever had, I think. Next stop was Terrazo, a nice restaurant that we have been to before, for lunch. Joanne had chicken chimichangas. I had beef enchiladas. And a margarita ! After lunch Joanne returned to Tere's Beauty & Barber Shop for a pedicure and I ran other errands. I went to seven different pharmacies shopping for a medication for a friend / neighbour. I went to four different dulcerias ( candy stores ) shopping for our favourite Mexican chocolate bars ; Nugs and CocoNugs. I returned to Tere's, waited for Joanne's pedicure to be finished, then we continued shopping. More Mexican chocolates ... Creminos ... and many packages / flavours of Zuko drink powder mixes. Somewhat like Mexican
Kool-Aid.

By then we were tired. Time to return home. The line up to cross the border today was long, but took only half an hour. After crossing back into the United States we drove to the "secret" pet cemetery where Sully is buried. The "entrance" to the pet cemetery is adorned with both an American and a Canadian flag. We noticed on our last visit that both flags were extremely worn. We recently bought a new Canadian flag and replaced the old flag at the cemetery entrance today. Hopefully that will inspire an American to replace the tattered and torn American flag as well.

As we entered Yuma we stopped at McDonald's to buy a soft drink, then drove home to Kofa Ko-op. I took Bo for a walk around the dog park. I delivered the medications to our friend / neighbour. I watered our plants and gardens. At sunset I went bicycling. Tonight while having dinner we watched Survivor, then Hell's Kitchen and Catfish on TV.

Thursday ; Sunny and very warm.

Late this morning we put Elsie the camper back onto Lanoire the truck. WOO-HOO ! Almost time to go ! Despite the lovely weather some of us are getting "hitch itch". HA HA HA !  I am eager for the adventures of travel !

This afternoon Joanne worked on moving stuff from the trailer to the camper in preparation for departure on Monday. I did some minor maintenance on the camper and some gardening.

This evening we went to Yuma Palms, the local large shopping mall, to attend the weekly free outdoor jazz concert. Tonight's entertainers were The High Society Jazz Band, a Dixieland jazz band from San Diego. After the concert we went to Golden Corral for buffet dinner. On the way home we refilled with diesel at Fry's Fuel Bar.

Good Friday ; Sunny and very warm.

We spent the day preparing to move the fifth wheel trailer into storage tomorrow. Joanne moved all the fridge and kitchen cupboard contents from the trailer to the truck camper. I worked on exterior preparations. I removed and stored the solar panels.
I removed and stored the bipod front stabilizer. I raised the rear stabilizers and stored all the jack pads. I removed and stored the clothesline rack attached to the roof access ladder.

I did some caulking / resealing work on the truck camper roof. I did some truck maintenance work to prepare for the long trip north. I stored some back yard patio furniture into the Arizona room. I "refurbished' Bo's truck console bed using some carpet underlay I got from a neighbour and a surplus pillow.

We walked Bo around the dog park. I went bicycling at sunset. In the evening we worked on some "inside" preparations for putting the trailer into storage.

Saturday ; Sunny and hot.

This morning we worked on the final preparations of the fifth wheel trailer for summer storage. At noon Laszlo came over with his truck, we hooked up our trailer to his truck, and he towed it to the storage area. We got it positioned and unhitched. I discovered a large crack underneath the bedroom area / front overhang of the trailer that I will have to repair next winter. < sigh >

Joanne did a lot of laundry today, all afternoon and into the evening. This afternoon we finished loading and preparing the truck camper for the return trip north. Joanne phoned her sister. I visited with Laszlo and Gail. Late in the afternoon we returned to the storage yard and finished "summerizing" the trailer. Joanne stored all the laundered clothing and linens in the trailer. We walked around the dog park with Bo. I went bicycling at sunset, my last sunset bicycle ride here this season.

I received another phone call from someone in BC who wants a trailer towed before we return home, my third "lost opportunity" in recent weeks. Why does everyone want their trailers moved so early ? Isn't it still winter in BC ?

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment