Sunday, March 13, 2016

March 6 to 12, 2016

Sunday ; Sunny, hot, very windy, "desert storm" starting in the afternoon. Joanne cooked a sausage and bean cassoulet in the Sun Oven.

< inhaling deeply > WOW ! Can you smell that ? The nearby lemon groves are in blossom !

This morning Bo and I went into the dog park and did Bo-gility and obedience. Well done, Bo, good dog ! I took care of routine chores then worked on an audit committee project on the computer.

This afternoon we began another week long commitment as the "Welcome Committee". Today we visited three new arrivals, including an elderly couple ( aren't they all ? ) who were "original" residents of this park thirty years ago. They started travelling as full time RV'ers in 1981 when they were fifty-five years old. They're now ninety ! Thirty-five years on the road as full time RV'ers ! ! !

We finished those visits just in time to attend the weekly ice cream social.

Monday ; Cloudy, a few drops of rain early in the afternoon ... chilly ! Temperature in the mid 50's, much too cold for this time of year here.

I adjusted the air in the truck tires then Joanne went grocery shopping. I watered all our plants and cactus gardens. I reconciled some February investment statements. I did some audit committee work on the computer. Today we had two new arrivals to visit as this week's Welcome Committee.

This evening we were taken out for dinner by Joe and Alene, in appreciation for caring for Lucy the Dachshund for seventeen days while they were on a cruise to Hawaii. We had a very pleasant dinner at Olive Garden.

Tuesday ; Sunny and warm. Two day spell of bad weather has passed.

Right after lunch we headed to the Humane Society for our regular Tuesday afternoon shift of dog walking and cat cuddling. My heart strings were tugged by a horrendously matted ... and tick bite scab laden ... old Miniature Poodle. I recruited Joanne to help me bathe the poor little thing. After we gave Snuggles a quick, partial bath I took him into the fenced dog park at the Humane Society to allow him to dry in the sun. And I plucked blood bloated ticks off him. SHEESH ! He needs to be completely shaved and then bathed again. I'm not often tempted to adopt any of the dogs that I walk but today ... < sigh > !

After the Humane Society we headed east to The Foothills where I picked up the three items I had special ordered at Al's RV Service & Supply last Friday. From there we went across the street to the new, large Fry's store to refill with diesel at their fuel bar and to buy some luncheon meats ... and sushi. MMMMM ... good, fresh sushi at that new Fry's store.

Back home at Kofa Ko-op we did our daily Welcome Committee work ... one new arrival today. We walked with Bo around the dog park perimeter. I went bicycling at sunset.
I returned a phone call to a fellow in Penticton who needs a fifth wheel trailer towed from Penticton to Chilliwack, BC. Before we return home in mid-April. DARN ! That would have been easy money !

We had an interesting and somewhat different dinner tonight. I barbecued marinated steak, and stuffed Portobello mushrooms, accompanied by salad and mashed potatoes.

We watched Canadian comedy shows on TV tonight, our regular Tuesday evening ritual.

Wednesday ; Sunny and hot.

I spent much of the day working on the installation of two Extreme Vents on the roof of the truck camper. I finished the job. Nicely done, Daniel ! Late this afternoon we went to the regular Wednesday late afternoon "happy hour potluck". Because ... we were today's hosts ! After the potluck we did our daily Welcome Committee visiting. One new arrival today ; a couple from British Columbia, she's Canadian, he's American. Two nice dogs !

We took Bo for a walk around the dog park just before it got dark. In the evening we watched Catfish and Survivor.

Thursday ; Sunny and hot.

This morning I puttered around with routine household chores. After lunch we took Bo to the veterinarian for his annual examination and vaccinations. From there we drove to the Humane Society. We were considering the possibility of fostering and perhaps even adopting a Miniature Poodle named Snuggles that I "walked" on Tuesday afternoon. We decided this afternoon that we won't be doing either, thanks to the ineptitude and / or passive-aggressive "games playing" of some Humane Society staff.

We returned home, then Joanne left to do some shopping on her own. Laszlo came over and gave me a fly tying lesson in our Arizona room. Very interesting, but unlikely to become a hobby of mine. I made two flies for fishing, and I am eager to try them out in the Similkameen River at home.

After Joanne returned home we did our daily Welcome visits ; two arrivals today. We took Bo for a walk around the dog park perimeter, then I went bicycling at sunset.

Friday ; Sunny and hot.

Late last night I developed a severe back ache, a rare occurrence for me. And
I suffered all day today with a back ache that varied from moderate to severe. This afternoon while Joanne was out shopping by herself I flushed the trailer's water heater.
I did today's Welcome Committee visiting by myself before Joanne returned home. One arrival today, a single woman and her dog, returning for a repeat visit. We had welcomed her earlier in the season.

After Joanne returned home we took Bo for a long ( two laps ) walk around the dog park. WOO-HOO ... a pack again ; Bo, Saxon, and Mia.

Saturday ; Sunny and hot. My back ache persists, although not as severe.

I have just finished (at 9 PM ) reading my journal entry for this date last year. < sigh > I'm crying. This is the first anniversary of the death of Sully. We still miss him dearly.
I suppose it is time to remove his picture from my blog.

Late this morning we headed to The Foothills to run some errands. First stop was Southwest Exchange, a combination flea market and RV parts dealer. Fifteen percent off everything today ! We went to Del Taco for lunch. Buy one get one free coupons ! Next was Walgreens then Salvation Army. Fifty percent off everything today ! HA HA HA ... see a pattern ?

Back at home we did today's Welcome Committee visits. Two arrivals today, one not home despite a few visits by us to their site. The other new arrival was parked next door to us. After welcoming them, the man ( Alan ) and the dog ( Snickers ) joined us on our two lap walk around the dog park. At sunset I went bicycling. And visiting neighbours / friends. Lots of "farewells", people are already leaving, migrating northwards. I helped an Albertan winterize their fifth wheel trailer. HUH ? Yes, yes ... they leave here with their trailer winterized, because it will still be winter when they arrive home. They drive 1500 miles home in three days, with the trailer plumbing non-functional, can't even use the toilet. < shrug > Go figure !

DSK

1 comment:

  1. What a picture you paint of your week. I inhaled and almost smelled the lemon groves too! I was glad to read you took care of little Snuggles on Tuesday. It's hard to not want to adopt an animal that is in that condition. Your instincts tell you to just take him and take care of him. Glad you gave him a nice bath - I'm sure he loved it!

    Liza Pilon @ Prairie City RV

    ReplyDelete