Monday, October 11, 2004

October 9, 2004

October 9, 2004

The Pinery Provincial Park

DAY 114

 

I thought I was all better, but apparently not. I seem to have had a relapse of the flu today.

It rained over night, so today started out cloudy and cool. The sun came out in the afternoon, although it remained cool.

This morning we had to drive to the registration building to "register" for the campsite we had to move to today. Yesterday we could only "reserve" and pay for the campsite. Today we had to "register". Computers !

After registering, we returned to the trailer, closed everything up, and hitched up. Since we had to move the trailer from one site to another, we figured we might as well take the opportunity to drive over to the trailer dumping station to empty the holding tanks and refill the fresh water tank. That done, it was back to our campsite area to set up in our new site.

Well ... there went the entire morning.

After lunch, I wanted to continue working on my fibreglass repair, but yesterday's application was not yet dry. I think the kit I bought was missing a hardening compound that is referred to in the instructions, but my kit doesn't have. Maybe that’s why the resin hasn’t dried after 24 hours ? Maybe I just don’t know what I’m doing ?

We decided to drive about 10 km. north on Hwy. 21 to Grand Bend, a resort town on Lake Huron with a population of about 1000. Joanne wanted to shop at the farmer's market that was to be set up in Grand Bend today only. We drove around the town, then parked, shopped at the farmer's market, and walked down to the beach on Lake Huron. Wind and big surf ! Kind of reminded me of Cancun, Mexico.

At the far end of town, we found a luxury resort called the Oakwood Inn Resort ( and golf and country club ). Their signage was advertising Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Joanne went in and made a reservation, although for us it will be my birthday dinner more than a Thanksgiving dinner.

We had a premature Thanksgiving dinner of sorts tonight. I barbecued fresh, local turkey thighs, fresh, local little potatoes, and fresh, local little plum tomatoes, while Joanne cooked fresh, local green beans inside the trailer. We cut the little plum tomatoes in half, sprinkled salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese on them, wrapped them in foil, and baked them in the barbecue. Turned out great !

After supper, we sat around a campfire, trying to get me warm. I've felt cold all day, but I think that's more attributable to illness than weather.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment