Sunday, December 5, 2004

December 2, 2004

December 2, 2004

Lake Enid to Dry Creek Park, Mississippi

DAY 168

 

Another bright, sunny day. Thank goodness ! It's still a bit cool, but a lot warmer than when we were leaving Missouri a few days ago. There's little improvement in my cold, and it's wearing me down.

We took our time getting ready to leave this morning. My stamina is really low. We headed south on I-55. I only drove for a short time before I felt too tired to drive. I think my cold medications might be making me drowsy. Joanne drove for most of the morning. We stopped for lunch, and to change drivers, at a Love's Travel Centre near Canton, Mississippi. Love's Travel Centres are like Flying J's ; 98 % commercial trucks, 2 % RV's, no soccer moms in minivans. After lunch, I resumed driving, continuing us south on I-55 into Jackson, Mississippi. In Jackson I transferred over from I-55 South to Hwy. 49 heading southeast.

We passed an area that had obviously been hit by a tornado recently. What amazing devastation. Buildings destroyed, huge trees snapped off close to the ground, all on a swath no more than a few hundred feet wide.

We're stopped for the night at Dry Creek Park near Mount Olive, Mississippi. The further south we go, the cheaper the camping fees become. Camping fees up north were in the $30 range. Tonight we paid $6.50 for a site with water and electrical hook-ups, in a very nice park. Large, level sites, well spaced from one another. Large, clean showers and restrooms building. It's a public park, although I'm not sure what agency administers it.

Tomorrow we're going to do some exploring in this area. Joanne found some interesting things to see near here, in the Mississippi tourist information book.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment