Tuesday, December 28, 2004

December 28, 2004

December 28, 2004

Rainbow's End & Livingston

DAY 193

 

Today was sunny and warm again. It's supposed to be like this for at least the rest of this week.

This morning after I showered, Bo wanted to go outside, so I let him out, attached to a tie out rope tied to the picnic table. When I went to check on him after about half an hour, all I found was the rope attached to the picnic table, with the clip end chewed off, and Bo gone. Bad dog ! I rushed around the front of the trailer, calling him. There he was, sitting beside the fifth wheel trailer next to us, with about a foot of chewed tie out rope attached to his harness, waiting to be let in the door. Bo is still a little confused about which fifth wheel trailer is his.

I went outside to wash Dee-Dee, and Bo wanted to be outside with me. I attached him to the end of the tie-out that still had a clip, and tied the chewed end to the leg of the picnic table. As I washed the truck, I kept looking over my shoulder at him, as he sat in the sun, looking around, just being a good little dog. No more than a few minutes after I last looked at him, a neighbour from the next road over came by, asking me if I had lost something. There was Bo in his arms, tail wagging, with a foot of tie-out rope hanging off his harness. BAD DOG ! They sure learn their new "tricks" quickly, don't they ?

At noon, we went over to the Club House to join in the weekly communal lunch. After lunch, I headed off for Livingston, to have the slow leak in the tire repaired. As I was waiting to turn out of the Escapees gate onto the highway into town, I recognized the fifth wheel rig turning in. It was Hans and Peta Arends, from Ontario Chapter 18. We had last seen them at the Escapade in Goshen, Indiana. We chatted for just a few seconds through our truck windows.

I went to a tire shop in Livingston, and had the tire repaired. They couldn't actually find a leak, and surmised that it's probably just a leaking valve stem, or valve extender. We tightened up the valve stem, and the cores in the valve stem and valve extender. I sure hope that solves the problem.

As soon as I returned to Rainbow's End, I got Bo and off we went to find Hans and Peta, and introduce Bo to their Keeshond, Tucson. Hans and Peta got Tucson about three years ago, in, of course, Tucson, Arizona. I chatted with Hans and Peta for about half an hour, while Bo explored all over their fifth wheel. Since all fifth wheel layouts are somewhat similar, Bo knew his way around in no time, checking out their bed, and nudging open the kitchen cupboard where Tucson's dog biscuits are kept. Bo sure has a terrier's nose !

At 4:00 P.M., I took Bo back to our trailer, because we all wanted to go to today's social hour. Joanne and I walked into the Activity Centre, looked around to see where Hans and Peta were sitting, and they were right beside Brad and Jan Barnes, a couple that we had met at Rainbow Plantation in Alabama. They were there when we adopted Bo, and were eager to know how it was working out with Bo. They are also from Ontario, although they didn't know Hans and Peta. We all sat together at a table chatting, a trio of couples all from Ontario ! Well ... sort of. We consider ourselves either from Ontario or Manitoba, whichever suits our purpose at the moment. And we still belong to the Escapees Ontario Chapter 18, since there is no Escapees chapter in Manitoba.

Brad and Jan Barnes have been exploring the Cajun culture in and around Lafayette, Louisiana for the last 2 weeks. Hans and Peta have been at Rainbow Plantation in Alabama for the last 2 weeks, arriving there just after we left. As they were leaving there, Sandy and Peachy McGeachy arrived there, and are headed here next. Sandy and Peachy are also from the Ontario Chapter 18. We also saw them last at Escapade. Sandy and Peachy are the couple that were just finishing 2 years of full timing, when we began in June. Sandy's advice and encouragement were very reassuring to us at the Kingston rally in June, just as we were starting.

It really does seem like a small world here in Escapees. Or a big family.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment