Sunday, December 5, 2004

November 30, 2004

November 30, 2004

Caruthersville, Missouri to Memphis, Tennessee

DAY 166

 

Yesterday we drove down out of the Ozark Mountains. Today we drove along the Mississippi Delta. The radio stations made a transition from Bluegrass Gospel to Delta Blues.

Today was cold and raining heavily again. I felt very sick. This is the fourth day of my cold, and I usually start to improve on the fifth day of a cold, so I'm hoping for improvement tomorrow. However, I've been getting wet and cold a lot in the last few days, so I'm not getting much of a chance to "nurse" this cold.

We left Caruthersville, driving 5 miles back to Interstate 55 at the town of Blytheville, where we filled up with diesel. South on I-55 and soon we were in Arkansas. We've been in Missouri for about six weeks now, and I'm glad to put it behind us. The cotton fields all along the Mississippi Delta are flooded from the heavy rains of the last few days.

We stopped for lunch at a road side rest area. By mid-afternoon, I-55 curved a bit east, crossed the Mississippi River, and we were in Memphis, Tennessee. Joanne had picked out an RV Park to stay at, on, of course, Elvis Presley Boulevard, about a half mile down from Graceland. We checked in to the park, unhitched and set up. Joanne cleaned up a big mess in one of the cupboards, while I lay down for awhile. A bottle of Cola had spontaneously exploded in a cupboard. As difficult as that was to clean up, it was made worse by the huge number of stowaway ladybugs that were in the cupboard. YMCA Of The Ozarks had a ladybug "problem", and they seem to have taken up residence in every nook and cranny in the trailer.

Late in the afternoon, we drove back to Graceland, just down the street. The first thing we did was check out the Graceland RV Park ... on Lonely Street ... right behind the Heartbreak Hotel. Yes, yes ... you did read that correctly ! We parked around the corner, and walked by Graceland. It is surrounded by a tall stone fence that prevents you from seeing into the grounds except near the entrance. Yes, yes ... the entrance with the wrought iron gates with the musical notes on them.

We took a few pictures, then got back into the truck to go a few blocks to a restaurant recommended by the lady at the tourist bureau where we stopped just coming off the Interstate. We went inside but didn't like it, so on impulse we decided to drive downtown to have supperon Beale Street.

AHHHHH .... Beale Street in downtown Memphis, Tennessee. Home of the blues ! The first corner we approached on Beale Street had the Blues City Cafe and B. B. King's Blues Club. We checked out the menu at the Blues City Cafe, then crossed the street to look into B. B. King's Blues Club. The club was already pretty full, and it was only about 6:30 P.M.. I asked the doorman who was playing tonight. < GASP > B. B. himself was playing ! The cover charge was U.S. $40.00, and it was already standing room only for a set that would begin at 10:00 P.M..

We walked about 2 blocks down Beale Street and back, checking out restaurants and blues bars on both sides of the street. Joanne decided she liked the Blues City Cafe, the first place we had come to on Beale Street. She had Memphis Style Barbecued Ribs, and I had Southern Fried Catfish. HOT DAMN ... it was good ! I had so much catfish, I wrapped a piece into a napkin, and put it into my pocket. Teddy sure will have a big surprise tonight when I feed him his bedtime snack. While eating, we debated whether or not to go to the B.B. King set across the street. I decided I'm too sick. Walking around Graceland, then up and down Beale Street in the cold rain didn't help. I'm much too ill to be doing this tourist stuff tonight

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment