Sunday, December 5, 2004

December 5, 2004

December 5, 2004

Rainbow Plantation

DAY 171

 

Today started out raining heavily. I had to go outside in the heavy rain first thing this morning to connect the sewer hose from the trailer to the sewer outlet. I had not unhitched the trailer from the truck, nor had I connected the sewer, yesterday when we arrived. As I was connecting the sewer, I had a sewer valve malfunction and spilled quite a bit of raw sewage out onto the ground beside the trailer. This kind of sewer valve malfunction is inevitable when full timing. One tries to keep such occurrences down to a minimum frequency. This is my first in almost six months of travelling, so I guess that's not too bad. And ... if one is going to spill raw sewage all over the ground beside one's trailer, might as well do it on a day that's raining heavily.

Most of the rest of the day was spent doing absolutely nothing, an indulgence I haven’t allowed myself in a long time. I lay in bed reading and napping all afternoon. A day of rest seems to have helped my cold symptoms diminish, finally.

When it finally stopped raining late in the afternoon, I unhitched the truck from the trailer. We want to go out and do some local exploring in the next few days. We loaded our laundry into the truck, and drove over to the club house, where the laundry room is located, and to attend the “ice cream social”. Every day there is a social activity of some sort at these Escapee RV Parks, to encourage “meet and greet” socializing. Eating ice cream and drinking root beer floats are just excuses for socializing. We sat for a long time chatting with a single man full time RV’er from Northern Minnesota. He was quite familiar with Winnipeg, Kenora, and all the way to Thunder Bay. He had visited St. Boniface a few times when he was a university student in Minneapolis. It’s nice to be back in the world where people realize that you don’t risk falling off the edge of the earth once beyond St. Louis, Missouri.

For supper, I prepared pickerel we've had in the freezer since Port Stanley, Ontario, coated with seasoned corn meal coating for cat fish, with turnip greens and hush puppies. I liked it all. Joanne didn't like the hush puppies. < snort > Northerner !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment