Saturday, September 11, 2004

September 6, 2004

September 6, 2004

DAY 81

 

Happy 17th birthday to Toby Cat

 

Today was a slow day of non-travel, resting and catching up on chores and minor maintenance. Even before we decided to spend the day parked at the GMC dealer, we had decided not to travel today because it's Labour Day, the final day of the last long weekend of summer and the roads were likely to be very busy. Good decision.

This afternoon, we decided to drive about half a mile down the Interstate to the Illinois Travel Information Centre to get a road map and campground book. The truck starter will only work if I whack it really hard with a crowbar and hammer. "Daniel's Persuasion". As we drove down the Interstate entrance ramp, we realized the traffic was crawling, bumper to bumper. We picked up what we needed at the Travel Information centre, then asked for directions back to the exit where we left the trailer at the GMC dealer, about a half mile back. Well ... you can't get there from here ! The directions were to continue south on the Interstate, passing through a toll booth just beyond the Travel Information Centre, drive 10 miles to the next exit, turn around, and drive 10 miles back, through the toll booth again, incurring 20 miles worth of toll charges.

I don't think so ! There must be a reason why I have a 4 wheel drive ( actually, 6 wheel drive ) vehicle designed for "off roading". Out of the Travel Information Centre, onto the Interstate, off the left side of the road, through the wide, deep, rough ditch between the southbound side and the northbound side, and back up onto the Interstate headed back north to our exit a half mile away. HA ! Toll that, Illinois !

Joanne didn't seem all too impressed with that manoeuvre.

I am currently ( 6:30 P.M ) sitting at the Flying J, diagonally across the road from where we're parked, in the professional driver's lounge, at a booth with a phone with a jack for the computer modem. I have just signed on, sent and received e-mail, and updated my journal. This is a very convenient method of Internet access. I think I'll use it again. At least until both my cell phone service and my AOL service are set up for U.S. access, starting October 15. I didn't think it worthwhile to set up U.S. access starting September 1, as this trip into the United States will be for less than 3 weeks. Also, I must confess, by the time I made arrangements, I was too late for September 1 start-up. Manitoba Telephone Systems and AOL both need "lead time" for these arrangements. So much for "instant" telecommunications !

The Flying J's professional driver's lounge was crowded tonight with truck drivers avoiding the long weekend traffic. They were all sitting around watching TV, working on their laptops or paper work, making telephone calls, showering, washing laundry, etc..

Tonight I discovered that the lowered tailgate of the truck makes a great "table" for our little propane barbecue. I can even stand in the V notch ( it's a fifth wheel louvered tailgate ) with the barbecue on one side and cooking utensils, barbecue sauce, paper towels, etc. on the other side.

Perfect !

Played 2 games of Scrabble tonight with Joanne. It's probably been 20 years since we last played Scrabble. Won one, lost one. Should have quit while I was ahead. There's a moral in there somewhere.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment