Friday, May 19, 2006

May 18, 2006

May 18, 2006

Pictou, Nova Scotia to Louisbourg, Cape Breton Island

YEAR 2 DAY 335

 

Today was sunny and mild, until we were near the coastline on Cape Breton Island, where it became foggy.

This morning we prepared for departure and left Harbour Light Campground. We drove to, and through Pictou, then a few miles more to the larger city of New Glasgow. First stop was Air Liquide where we refilled a propane tank. Then Stone's RV for some trailer hardware. Next was the large mall, where Joanne went to Wal-Mart at one end, and I went to Canadian Tire at the other end. Driving from the mall to the grocery store, we stopped at Andy's Tire where I bought a couple of dually tire valve extenders as spares. While Joanne went into Superstore to get started on the grocery shopping, I filled up with diesel at Superstore Gas Bar. We had lunch in Superstore's parking lot, then finally hit the road for a day of driving.

We drove east on Hwy. 104, crossing the Canso Causeway from mainland Nova Scotia to Cape Breton Island, where the Trans-Canada Highway became Hwy. 105. We followed Hwy. 105 all the way around through to North Sydney, where the ferry to Newfoundland is, then Hwy. 125 around North Sydney and Sydney to Hwy. 22. We took Hwy. 22 southeast to Louisbourg. We found our way to Riverdale RV Park in Louisbourg. We got set up in our campsite before going to the nearby convenience store to register. We were planning to stay one night, and catch the ferry to Newfoundland tomorrow morning but the campground had an off season special of "pay for 2 nights, stay for 3", so we decided to stay here 3 nights. Joanne wants to visit Fort Louisbourg, a National Park just down the street. And we'll get some chores done. We're a bit behind on chores, so we'll put the time to good use.

Shortly after we arrived, Joanne opened the trailer door to go outside to get something. Bo dashed out the door, and took off. Bad, bad dog ! He hasn't misbehaved like that in a long time. I thought he would run a short distance, then either return, or allow Joanne to capture him. I became concerned when I heard her voice commanding him to stop, get further and further away. I grabbed his leash, and headed in the direction of her voice. Bo ran and ran and ran, through the residential streets of Louisbourg, occasionally obeying her commands to stop and sit, but refusing to come, and refusing to stay when she would reach for him. She chased him, and I followed both of them, for about 10 minutes. Finally I got close enough to see both of them, and I gave a command to stop, sit and stay that would have stopped a semi-trailer truck in its tracks ! I attached his leash, and we all returned to the trailer. BAD, BAD, BAD DOG ! ! ! We are both very angry, upset, and disappointed in him. His behaviour has been superb lately, and now this !

We had supper, then I tried connecting to the campground's Wi-Fi. I wanted to show Joanne the Guide Dogs Of The Desert website. The signal in the campground is weak, and my connection was intermittent. I guess I'll have to go the laundry room to get a good signal. I did today's accounting, then today's journal.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment