Saturday, May 20, 2006

May 19, 2006

May 19, 2006

Louisbourg to Glace Bay, Cape Breton Island, & return

YEAR 2 DAY 336

 

Today was foggy and cold.

I spent the morning working on the replacement of a side marker light assembly on the trailer. The job took much longer than I had expected. I guess that's often the case. What looks like a little job turns out to be not so little. I couldn't get at the wiring behind the side marker light assembly from outside. I had to get at it in the bottom corner of the bedroom closet. That necessitated emptying out half the bedroom closet, so I could crawl into the closet and work on the wiring in the bottom corner.

After lunch we headed to Glace Bay, about an hour away. Joanne wanted to visit the Coal Miner's Museum. We drove down back roads from Louisbourg to Glace Bay, to explore. At one point we came to a single lane bridge. On the bridge was a 1999 GM pickup truck, kin to Dee-Dee. It was stuck on the bridge, blocking anyone else from crossing, because its drive shaft had fallen off. HA HA HA ! What a ******* piece of crap ! Oh, sure ... I can laugh now !

We visited the exhibitions in the Coal Miner's Museum, but this early in the season, they are not yet conducting guided tours down into "the deeps", the collieries. I did not know that coal mining shafts are called collieries. And ... I did not know that the coal is mined from underneath the ocean ! The collieries are beneath the ocean floor.

We drove from Glace Bay to Sydney, then returned to Louisbourg down Hwy. 22. We drove past our campground to find Fort Louisbourg, which we intend to visit tomorrow. Back at the campground, I decided to do a bit more rewiring inside the bedroom closet before we put everything back into the closet. I rewired some sloppy connections done when the trailer was manufactured. While I did that, Joanne took Bo for an obedience training session. He needs to be much more responsive and obedient with her. I'm not the only "top dog". I read the 12 page newsletter I had downloaded from the Guide Dogs Of The Desert website yesterday, and a magazine article I had downloaded from the Escapees website. The Guide Dogs Of The Desert newsletter was very interesting. I'm looking forward to working there next winter.

We both went to the laundry room, and while Joanne did some laundry, I got online with Wi-Fi. I sent and retrieved e-mail, then updated my blog. I made a ferry reservation to Newfoundland for Sunday. I checked out the Fort Louisbourg website. We browsed the many photos in the Guide Dogs Of The Desert photo album web page. Very impressive. Unfortunately, Joanne is still not very enthused about this WorkCamper "job" we have accepted for next winter. I'm very enthused ! Oh, well ... she liked the WorkCamper job at C.A.R.E. in Texas. I didn't !

We had a very late supper. I had the salmon marinated in maple syrup that I bought in New Glasgow the other day. It was superb !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment