Friday, May 27, 2005

May 25, 2005

May 25, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 8 of 113

DAY 342

 

Today was partially sunny, and a bit cool.

When I opened the trailer door first thing this morning there was a deer standing just outside the door munching on tree buds. We startled each other. My first job this morning was to install a trailer hitch on the truck, to tow the waste water tote to the sanitary dump. Then I brought the tote down off the roof of the trailer. We spent part of the morning, and part of the afternoon, using the tote for the first time, to dump all the holding tanks. It took a long time, but we were learning by trial and error. Now that we've ascended the learning curve, and know what we're doing, and how, it shouldn't be too onerous a task on a weekly basis. If we use Harvey's internal facilities sparingly, we should only have to empty the tanks weekly. The first one to fill after our first week here was the kitchen tank, from washing dishes. The tote was almost full after dumping the kitchen holding tank and I had to tow it to the dump using the truck. The toilet tank, and the shower tank each filled the tote only about halfway, and I was able to pull the tote to the dump by hand.

While Joanne did laundry across the highway at Crescent Beach Cottages, I drove to Major's Service Centre to buy a fishing license. Back at the trailer, I did some tax accounting, and paid some bills. We walked Bo, and cleaned loop B of the campground. I have decided to clean the litter from one loop of the campground per day. After tidying loop B we did a training session with Bo. Then I went off to fish for a few hours. I didn't catch any fish, but I did watch a pike follow my lure all the way to shore without taking it. I shared my rocky point with a pair of loons, and a beaver. I saw the beaver swimming toward shore right where I was fishing, so I stopped moving and sat there quietly. It swam to within about 20 feet of me, then saw or smelled me. It slapped the water loudly with its tail, and dived under, resurfacing a couple of hundred feet away. I'm enjoying all the wild life we're seeing here.

Still haven't seen our "boss" !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment