Tuesday, February 21, 2006

February 20, 2006

February 20, 2006

Rainbow's End SKP Park, Livingston, Texas

YEAR 2 DAY 248

 

Today was cloudy and cold, temperature in the 40's. The Texas women are wearing fur coats, and the Texas dogs are wearing sweaters. I made a comment to our 81 year old Southern belle neighbour, that I could tell from her fur coat that she was a Southerner, and with great indignation, she pointed out to me that she was a Southern "lady" ! Joanne said later that the woman reacted as if I had called her a skank.

I slept very late this morning, still feeling weak and tired from being ill. After doing regular morning chores and preventive maintenance, I refilled the fresh water holding tank, then took the truck to adjust the air pressure in the 4 rear tires. I took Bo for an obedience training session.

We drove to Livingston to have lunch at Catfish King. Last year Rodney Elam treated us to lunch at Catfish King to show appreciation to us for caring for Ginger. We really liked it, and wanted to eat there again this year while we were here. Catfish is one of the Southern specialties we really like. After lunch we stopped at H-E-B to buy some rice, to make more boiled ground beef and rice mixture for Bo. His digestive tract is settling, but still isn't quite normal. Back at Rainbow's End, Joanne went to visit her blind friend Arley at CARE. I started working on the truck tailgate. The tailgate latch broke quite some time ago, and I haven't bothered to repair it yet, because I so rarely need to open the tailgate. I decided I should fix the latch before I try to sell or trade the truck. I worked on it today, and will have to buy some hardware tomorrow to complete the repair. Then I sanded and painted a section of the tailgate where the paint was flaking. This louvered, V-notched fifth wheel tailgate has a terrible paint finish. This is the fourth or fifth time I've had to scrape flaking paint, sand, and repaint a section. Between the bad paint job, and the poorly designed latching system, it's a real piece of crap tailgate, for a real piece of crap truck. Just as I finished working on the tailgate, Joanne returned from visiting Arley. She has decided that since we have to stay here until at least Wednesday because of our late mail, she wants to stay here until Thursday, so that she can bake a cake for Arley's 80th birthday on Wednesday. I did today's accounting and worked on this journal entry while Joanne prepared supper.

We ate a very quick supper ... I hate rushing a meal like that ... and hurried off to the Clubhouse to join "movie night", already in progress. We missed the first ten minutes of the movie. I watched 20 minutes of the movie, some kind of a documentary on penguins, then left to return to the trailer. Joanne stayed at the movie. I prepared an application for a Campground Host position at Pinery Provincial Park, on the shore of Lake Huron, in southwestern Ontario, for September and October. When Joanne returned from watching the movie, we did some trip planning for May to October, in Canada. We watched the Olympics Ice Dance competition finals.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment