Tuesday, February 28, 2006

February 23, 2006

February 23, 2006

Rainbow's End SKP Park, Livingston, Texas to Lafayette, Louisiana

YEAR 2 DAY 251

 

Today was mostly sunny, and warm.

Helllllooooo, Cajun Country ! Helllllooooo, Mardi Gras !

After some improvement over the last few days, Bo was sick over night. Like one step forward, then two steps back. We're worried about him. This morning we prepared for departure from Rainbow's End. We drove over to the air station, and while Joanne walked over to the office to pay our bill, I adjusted the air pressure in the trailer tires. We left Rainbow's End and drove to Livingston. I filled Dee-Dee with diesel while Joanne went into the grocery store for a few items. I walked over to the Post Office to check if our mail was at General Delivery. It was not < sigh >. I filled out a form to have the Post Office forward our mail to Wauchula, Florida, if and when it does show up in Livingston. We drove back through Livingston, and headed south on Hwy. 146.

South on Hwy. 146 to Hwy. 105, then east on Hwy. 105 to Beaumont. As soon as we were on Hwy. 105 we started to see the damage caused by Hurricane Rita. We took Hwy. 96 through Beaumont, and got onto Interstate 10 headed east. We crossed the border from Texas into Louisiana, and stopped at the Travel Information Centre. Joanne prepared lunch while I went into the Travel Information Centre to get information on Mardi Gras celebrations. Teddy was sick. Gee ... I wonder if both Teddy and Bo picked up some kind of virus ? We continued east on I-10, stopping at Lake Charles to fill up with diesel at Love's, then continuing on to Lafayette. We drove south through Lafayette on Hwy. 90, to Maxie's Campground in the Lafayette suburb of Broussard.

A year ago we had hoped to visit New Orleans during Mardi Gras this year. But the damage to New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina made us decide to spend the Mardi Gras period in and around Lafayette, the centre of Cajun culture in Louisiana, and second only to New Orleans when it comes to Mardi Gras celebrations. Laissez les bons temps rouler !

We got settled into a site at Maxie's Campground. I took Bo for an obedience walk. Good dog, Bo. While Joanne prepared supper, I did today's accounting. We watched Survivor while eating supper. After supper I did today's journal entry. I feel quite tired tonight. The traffic on I-10 was heavy. There was a lot of construction on I-10, and wherethere wasn't construction, the road was rough. It was a long, tough day of driving.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment