Tuesday, February 7, 2006

February 6, 2006

February 6, 2006

La Feria, Texas

YEAR 2 DAY 234

 

Today was cloudy, warm, and windy.

We woke up this morning at 7:30 A.M.. Joanne walked the dog, and I phoned Knapp Chevrolet to explain why Dee-Dee was sitting out in front of their service department. We went back to bed. At 9:30, Knapp phoned to ask some questions. They had started the truck with no problem, and had driven it about 20 miles, with no problem. SOML ! ! ! I advised them to look for dirt or water in the fuel, or fuel lines, or fuel pump, or ... ? ? ?

I spent a lazy morning drinking coffee, and composing a letter of complaint to Camping World's Roadcare Emergency Road Service, about last night's experience. I got online, sent and retrieved e-mail, and updated my blog. We had lunch. I filed our corporate GST quarterly return online.

Knapp Chevrolet phoned. The truck requires a new diesel fuel injection pump. The pump costs about U.S.$1300 ! With labour, and miscellaneous other parts, the bill will be almost U.S.$2000! ! ! How the hell can a pump cost $2000 to replace ? ! ? The service writer at Knapp advised me that GM has a "Special Policy" regarding this diesel fuel injection pump. A "Special Policy" is an extended warranty, acknowledging some manner of parts defect or design flaw. The limitation of this "Special Policy" is 120,000 miles / 193,000 kilometres. Dee-Dee has 217,000 kilometres. He advised that I phone GM to discuss the matter. Interestingly, the GM vehicle maintenance database shows that Dee-Dee has already had the diesel fuel injection pump replaced once under this special extended warranty, at 144,000 kilometres, just before I bought the truck.

I phoned GM. To make another long story short, as is always the case in my discussions with GM, they refuse to do anything. They have a warranty, they have a policy, I'm out of warranty, goodbye ! ! ! Joanne and I spent some time this afternoon discussing a new or newer truck, buying or leasing, doing it here, doing it in Manitoba next summer, etc.. We've had Dee-Dee for 29 months. She has been an ongoing maintenance problem of huge magnitude. We've decided she has to be replaced this summer, in Manitoba. No more waffling ! Goodbye, Dee-Dee. You have about 5 or 6 more months with us, then you're gone !

We did an analysis of our vehicle costs. Depreciation costs, maintenance costs, cost of capitol (we paid cash for Dee-Dee, as we do for allour purchases). It doesn't make economic sense to keep her much longer. It certainly doesn't make emotional sense. That truck causes me more angst than my wife, my money, and my family, all put together ! I'm going to slowly start doing research on GM vs. Ford vs. Dodge, buying vs. leasing, warranty issues across international borders, etc.. I did some online research this afternoon, and sent e-mails to GM, Ford, and Dodge, asking about international application of new vehicle warranties.

While we're down here enjoying the great winter weather of The Valley, I'm using the "down time" to accomplish some of the low priority items on my things to do list. Once we leave here, we're going to be travelling pretty much non-stop for a few months. This afternoon and evening I did some planning and organizing of my juggling and magic. I inventoried the routines, assessed the degree of difficulty of each, and choreographed them into a cohesive performance.

We had supper, then watched TV. I did today's accounting and journal.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment