Thursday, January 20, 2005

January 18, 2005

January 18, 2005

C.A.R.E. Centre & Livingston, Texas

DAY 214

 

Today was cloudy and cool. I felt lazy and crabby.

I puttered away the morning doing some minor maintenance on the trailer. Joanne took Rain over to visit Arley, the old blind man she visits for an hour daily. She had an idea that if Arley and Rain hit it off, maybe Arley might consider adopting Rain. They didn't hit it off particularly well. Neither seemed to like the other much !

This afternoon we went to Livingston to run some errands. First stop was the local vet where we had taken Bo to be neutered and vaccinated just before Christmas. We had heard that they are sometimes willing to accept strays in their clinic, and they will attempt to adopt them out. Well, they are indeed willing to accept a stray cat for adoption, for a $10 fee. If an animal isn't adopted after a reasonable period of time, they are euthanized. They say that they are so unsuccessful at adopting out adult cats, that almost all adult cats that come in end up being euthanized because they can't find a home for them. They suggested we try the Polk County Animal Shelter on the other side of Livingston. We drove to the animal shelter, which was somewhat difficult to find. It's hidden behind the Polk County Sheriff's Office and Polk County Jail. The sign says that they are open Monday to Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. but when we arrived it was just after 3:00 P.M. and the yard gate was closed. I walked around the yard gate and over to the building. The building was locked and appeared empty. As I was walking back towards the gate, some a*****e came out of the Sheriff's Office, walked around the shelter's yard gate and as he approached me, threatened to arrest me for trespassing. I suppose I should perhaps consider wearing a sign around my neck that says "I Am Canadian ... in an extremely crabby mood ... and have a great deal of contempt for law enforcement". I mouthed off at him exuberantly. Somewhat to my surprise, he backed down and apologized. The animal shelter is a one person operation, and the one person is on vacation this week, so the shelter is closed for the week.

I'm not sure what we're going to do with Rain. I guess we'll take her to the shelter next week.

Next stop was the Post Office. Our December mail package, sent by Sharon a week ago, had arrived, as did a Priority Post package she had sent with our vehicle registration and insurance renewals. Still no sign of the November mail package she mailed in mid-December.

Last stop was Wal-Mart for our weekly grocery and supplies shopping. While I was getting some refillable water jugs out of the truck, the parking lot security guard came by to chat, having noticed my Canadian license plate. I wonder why Wal-Mart parking lots need security guards driving around in golf carts ? This security guard was Native American / Indian. He looked and sounded just like a Winnipeg Main Street Indian, except he had a Texas drawl. Sorry ... it seemed amusing. Like bumping into someone outside the Sutherland Hotel who sounds like John Wayne.

Another Texas observation ; most meat products sold here have little tiny fine print on the package that says "enhanced 10%" or "enhanced 15%". I'm not exactly sure what they mean by "enhanced" as it relates to beef. Chicken is "enhanced" by the addition of 10% or 15% "broth". Chicken "broth" is comprised of water, salt, and ... phosphates ? ? ? ! ! !

Tonight Jonathon and Victoria were finally eliminated from Amazing Race. Hallelujah ! I can't decide which I hated more ; his abusiveness or her hysterical shrieking and whining.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment