Wednesday, January 12, 2005

January 8, 2005

January 8, 2004

C.A.R.E. Centre

DAY 204

 

Today was another one of those perfect "June 18" days ; warm and sunny.

I had coffee in the C.A.R.E. Centre this morning, sitting around chatting with some participants and other volunteers, answering questions about Canada. It was disconcerting to find out that pretty much everybody here carries a hand gun in their rig. " For protection ! " Protection from what ? ? ? The little old lady in the motorhome next door to you ? ? ?

I put up six notices around the park today, looking for a home for "Rain" the stray cat.

I spent most of the day working on maintenance of C.A.R.E.'s two riding mowers. One is a lawn tractor similar to the one I had in Ottawa. The other is a commercial lawn mower like you see used on golf courses. I had to drive that one over to the air compressor station to put air in the tires. What a squirrelly thing to steer ! There’s no steering wheel. Just 2 large steering bars. Pull one forward, push one back, and this thing will dance pirouettes. I finished work on that one, and began work on the tractor model. I’ll work on the tractor model again tomorrow.

Joanne worked in the kitchen today, on the afternoon shift, preparing supper.

Bo has discovered gopher holes and come to a realization ; " OMIGOD ... I'M A TERRIER ! " He shoves his nose as deep down into the gopher hole as he can get it, snorts deeply, and begins to dig furiously. I discourage that !

About 5:30, just as it got dark, Rain showed up, ate supper, and left. I guess s/he has been stray long enough that s/he has reverted back to being nocturnal. Have to get her back into a domesticated situation so she will sleep at night and stay awake during the day.

At 7:30 P.M. we took Bo out for a walk, and there she was, sitting on the truck tool chest. After walking Bo, we checked her gender. She's a she. I brought her into the trailer, and lay on the bed with her for awhile, with the door to the bedroom shut to keep out Teddy and Bo. She appreciated being on a warm bed. I guess she's been cold outside for at least the last few nights.

I'm typing this at 8:30 P.M., trying to figure out what to do about her now. She's napping on our bed. Joanne thinks we should put her inside the cab of the truck for the night.

" The stars at night

Are big and bright

< clap clap clap clap >

Deep in the heart of Texas "

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment