Friday, January 7, 2005

January 4, 2005

January 4, 2004

C.A.R.E. Centre

DAY 200

 

Today was warm and cloudy, with intermittent rain in the morning.

I was assigned to assist my "next door neighbour" Ron Hopf to level a paving stone sidewalk and wooden wheel chair entrance ramp into a rig. Shortly after we started work it became apparent that I thought it was a half day job, and Ron thought it was a half hour job. When it started to rain shortly after we started, it became apparent that Ron thought it was now a 15 minute job. I was reluctant to accept that, particularly since what we were doing was fixing up some previous volunteer's "half ass" work. I do not like work done like that, and I sure as hell am not going to do that kind of work myself ! Ron and I returned to the Centre for a cup of coffee and to discuss how best to approach this job. Ron's apathy and my determination, not surprisingly, resulted in me "inheriting" responsibility for the completion of this job, including purchase of necessary materials to do the job properly ( read that " my way " ) ! I spent the rest of the morning and the early part of the afternoon assisting the kitchen staff, which included Joanne, with lunch preparation and clean up.

At 1:30 I attended a kitchen staff meeting that Joanne invited me to, although I'm not really assigned to the kitchen as she is. I sat on the outside of the group around the table, and listened. When the meeting was over, and the rest of the kitchen staff left, Carol Dryton, the Volunteer Co-ordinator asked me a question, soliciting my "observations". She was rather surprised by my "double barrel" response. Well ... at least here I waited to be asked my opinions, unlike at YMCA Of The Ozarks where I offered it unsolicited.

Well ... you know ... if you can't stand the heat ... get out of the kitchen ! ! ! HA HA HA HA HA !

I finished the afternoon by installing a new smoke alarm in Loretta's converted old bus.

We attended social hour at 4:00 P.M., then chatted with Sandy for awhile. Peachy didn't come to social hour today because of a migraine. If her migraine disappears by tomorrow morning, they're leaving here to head southwest to Mexico.

Tonight was Amazing Race. Would somebody please shoot that jerk Jonathon ?

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment