Wednesday, July 13, 2005

July 10, 2005

July 10, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 54 of 113

YEAR 2 DAY 23

 

Today was sunny and very hot. I like it, actually. There are lots of complaints about the heat. Hey ... what's there to complain about ? You're out at the lake, not stuck in an office, or digging ditches.

Today started very early. At 6:15 A.M. the H1 evictees decided to get up and prepare to leave, and ... make their displeasure widely known. For 20 minutes they were banging and clanging and screaming and slamming car doors and honking horns. I got out of bed, and went to sit at our picnic table and observe them, hoping for nothing more out of them than a bit of noise. Finally, they left, leaving a horrible mess behind in their site. I went to shower, thinking I would clean up the mess later. As I walked back to the trailer after showering, I encountered a vehicle speeding through the campground at a high rate of speed. I attempted to stop it, and ask the driver to slow down, but the jerk wanted no part of being stopped, and was obviously not interested in anything I had to say. Okay ... have it your way. If you don't want to be stopped and asked to slow down by the campground host, maybe a visit from the Park Patrol would be more to your liking. I walked through the campground to see what site the speeder was in, to report it later to Park Patrol. Surprise, surprise ... it was the guy who was an asshole when we woke him up to bear proof his campsite the other night when we had a bear in the campground. I spoke to the Park Patrol later in the morning, and they paid the speeder a visit in site H13. Since then, I have seen the vehicle drive in or out of the campground twice, at walking speed both times. Score one for the campground host ! I cleaned up the mess in H1. It filled 2 large garbage bags.

Reed came by with Scamper the orphan squirrel to update me, and get more advice. Scamper is doing fine, for now, on water and scrambled egg. I spent the morning reading. Joanne went to Falcon Lake to buy some groceries. I alternated between reading indoors, and reading outdoors. Being indoors was pleasant because I had turned on the air conditioning in the trailer. Outdoors, the deer flies and horse flies were biting. I wasn't coming into the trailer so much to escape the heat, which I quite like, as to escape the biting flies. I napped for awhile before lunch. I had been up late last night, and up early this morning. We had lunch. I read. We took Bo down to Miller Beach for a dip in the lake. He charged right into the water when we got to the lake. I helped a 35 foot Class A motorhome, with a towed, select a site. I stopped him as he was coming down the road into section G. The new campground host, Jill, has absolutely no idea where in the campground it is suitable to put such a large rig. I had them unhook the towed, turn around, and follow me into section B, where I easily got him situated in site B2.

We spent the afternoon and evening visiting with Erbon and Lorraine. We had a "shared responsibility" dinner with them. Joanne made potato salad and garden salad. Erbon barbecued a variety of meats from a specialty meat shop, using my barbecue. We ate inside the trailer, where it was cool, and there were no flies. While Joanne and Lorraine washed dishes, Erbon and I took Bo for a walk. Everybody was eager to have an early bedtime, because we all had not enough sleep last night.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment