Monday, July 18, 2005

July 17, 2005

July 17, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 61 of 113

YEAR 2 DAY 30

 

Today was cloudy, warm, and very humid.

This morning I discovered another bundle of our firewood had been stolen over night ! ! ! This is really pissing me off ! ! !

I was awakened at 4:15 A.M. by a loud group of drunks walking back into the campground from who knows where. Probably partying at a cottage. I fed Teddy and Bo, then had some difficulty falling asleep again. Consequently when I woke up later this morning I felt tired, like I hadn't had enough sleep. When I came out of the trailer at 8:20 A.M. there was already a large crowd under the tent by the registration office. This morning was the Meteor Fest flea market. After walking Bo, showering, and having a cup of coffee, I wandered down there to check it out. Not much worthwhile. I'm not much of a flea market kind of guy. I walked over to the campground registration office, because I saw Reed's van parked there. I wanted to check with him on how Scamper the orphan squirrel is doing. Reed has passed responsibility for Scamper over to the Parkies. Scamper now lives in the Parkie dormitory, and is apparently doing quite well. I'll talk to the next pair of Parkies I see on patrol, and get more details. We were expecting Shirley and Darcy Johnson to come by for a visit this morning about 9:30 A.M. or so, after they drove their daughter Sheryl back to the Caddy Lake Girl Guide Camp where she is working for the summer. About 11:00 A.M Shirley phoned to say their plans had changed, and they would be coming out for a visit later in the afternoon. I worked for awhile to build a spreadsheet to account for our firewood sales ; how much bought, how much sold, how much stolen, cost, revenue, profit, etc..

We had lunch, I read, then napped. I started reading the last of my Reader's Digest books of 4 condensed novels each. I picked up a half dozen of them this last winter at various Escapee RV Park book exchanges. I thought they would last me the whole summer. I guess not. Shirley, Darcy, and their son Erik came by and visited for awhile. They were on their way to Brereton Lake where they have rented a cottage for a week of vacation. We will go to Brereton on Thursday and visit them. After they left, I walked down to Crescent Beach to see the results of this afternoon's Meteor Fest sand castle competition. Most of them were the sort of routine sand castles done by 4 and 6 year olds, but there were 3 or 4 that were very creative. I couldn't help but notice as I walked the length of Crescent Beach that there were 6 pairs of children's shoes left behind on the beach. As I walked back to the trailer, it began to rain lightly again. It had rained lightly a couple of other times this afternoon. Joanne was falling asleep on the couch while doing crosswords. I lay down on the bed and read for a couple of hours.

By supper time, the rain was over, the sky had cleared, and the weekly infestation of SJL's ( slack jawed losers ) had mostly left the campground. Ahhhhh ... the high point of our week ! We had perogies for supper, then watched a movie on TV.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment