Friday, November 19, 2004

November 17, 2004

November 17, 2004

Trout Lodge to Elephant Rocks State Park & return

DAY 153

 

Bad news ; the windshield washer pump is broken again !

Good news ; I've finally found out why this keeps happening.

This was our first "day off" where we didn't have either ( a ) bad weather or ( b ) an appointment at the GM dealer ! First thing this morning I installed the new battery I bought yesterday. Immediately after lunch, we left on a day trip to Elephant Rocks State Park, about an hour south of here. Hwy. AA for 2 miles to Hwy. 8, 10 miles on Hwy. 8 to Potosi, then onto Hwy. 21 south to the park. Elephant Rocks State Park was the site of a pink granite mine and quarry over 100 years ago. Huge pink granite boulders, some the size of elephants, are all around this area. There is a 1 mile self-guided hiking trail around and through this area of interesting geological formations. The weather today was lovely, sunny and warm, in the mid-70's. We spent the afternoon in short sleeved shirts. As we hiked through the park, Joanne wished that she had worn shorts.

Just as we were going to leave the park, I decided to open the hood of the truck to check and verify that the windshield washer reservoir was still full and not leaking. When I opened the hood, I discovered battery acid all over the new battery, and all around the surrounding area. DAMN ! The alternator must be over charging the batteries. Parker-Banks thought that was possibly the problem, causing the battery to "boil", and the resultant leaking sulphuric acid was dripping down onto the windshield washer components under the battery. They were right !

I drove "home" and quickly began to rinse the battery and all around with water. I removed the battery, removed the battery tray, and finally removed the windshield washer reservoir, pump, and hoses. I poured baking soda all over everything to neutralize the battery acid, then rinsed with more water. Too late ! The windshield washer pump, installed less than 24 hours earlier, was cracked. The little plastic pump is simply no match for the sulphuric battery acid < SIGH >.

First thing tomorrow I will be on the phone to Parker-Banks Chevrolet. My guess is that the voltage regulator is the problem, but perhaps it's the alternator. In any case, I have not re-installed any of the windshield washer components, the battery tray, or the battery. The overcharging problem must get solved first. I wonder if they'll give me another windshield washer pump under warranty, or if I'll have to pay ?

After supper, I built a campfire in our little RV Park, and we shared a camp fire and a bottle of wine with the other WorkCampers here, Julie, Jack, and Sharon. I'm down to my very last piece of Canadian firewood, from Carlson's back yard. The consensus is that I should put it back into the truck, load up the YMCA Of The Ozarks fire wood that I'll be loading up next week on top of it, then haul that last piece of Canadian fire wood all around the United States, then finally back to Canada.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment