Monday, November 22, 2004

November 21, 2004

November 21, 2004

Trout Lodge

DAY 157

 

My 9:00 A.M. pontoon boat tours had no clients, so I gossiped with Sandor, a staff member from Hungary. My 10:00 A.M. fishing trip had no clients, so I sat in and watched Tim from Outdoor Education conduct an orienteering session. He did an excellent job. At 11:00 A.M. I conducted a camp fire building clinic which was well attended. It was a bit of a rush to coach a bunch of kids in building a camp fire, getting it lit, letting it burn down a bit, and roasting wieners, all within an hour, but it got done. It went quite well, although most of the kids thought I was going to be teaching how to build a camp fire without anything to start with ; no wood, no kindling, no sheet of newspaper or other "fire starter", no matches, etc.. No, kiddies ... I simply want to teach you how to be able to build a decent camp fire when out camping without having to use a can of diesel fuel, like the Triangle Y Ranch “cowboys” and the Outdoor Education people here do !

After lunch, I napped with Toby, while Joanne went off to do laundry and find a high enough hill to use the cell phone. Apparently she succeeded, so tomorrow morning I will be able to phone Pioneer Farm in Austin, Texas to apply for a WorkCamper job there.

The other WorkCamper couple, Jack and Sharon Board, left for home today.

For supper we attended the staff Thanksgiving dinner in Hillcrest Hall, hosted by Jeff and Jessica Clay, the Executive Director and Volunteer Co-ordinator. I had somewhat misunderstood the concept. I thought it would be more like an “at home family dinner”. It was more like the Trout Lodge dining room buffet, just for a smaller group, in a smaller place. We chatted over dinner with Julie, the other WorkCamper, Jessica and Jeff, and Sandor and Chila, boyfriend and girlfriend from Hungary. It was a pleasant, albeit short evening. American culture is much more “eat and run” than we’re used to. I’m always the last to finish eating. I’m usually heading for dessert as everyone else is putting on their jackets and heading out the door. Tonight was no exception.

After dinner, I went to Trout Lodge to get on Wi-Fi, then I chatted for awhile with Deborah at the front desk. She usually works the front desk on the evening shift. She’s leaving here very soon to relocate to Florida. We had an interesting, lengthy discussion about cancer, menopause, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, etc. HEY ... I’m an eclectic guy !

Tonight I received an e-mail advising me that our Grade 12 yearbook is now online. I showed Deborah and Angie how very cute Joanne looked at seventeen ! What a hottie !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment