Wednesday, November 3, 2004

October 31, 2004

October 29, 30, & 31

Trout Lodge Hallowe’en Fantasy Weekend

DAYS 134, 135, & 136

 

Friday ; We were assigned to help the Camp Lakewood Outdoor Education staff build their Haunted Hayride scene. The Haunted Hayride is a hay wagon towed by a tractor down one of the horse riding trails. Every few hundred feet down this trail each of the departments from Trout Lodge, Camp Lakewood, and Triangle Y Ranch built, and acted in, a scary scene. The Camp Lakewood Outdoor Education staff couldn't start their scene until today because they were busy until this morning with the grade six school groups from St. Louis that were here all week. The other departments got a head start building their Haunted Hayride scenes.

After supper, Joanne became the Haunted Hayride guest greeter, ticket taker, and wagon loader. Each hour at 7:00, 8:00, and 9:00 P.M., there were 3 wagon loads with 25 passengers each. I became Mr. Campfire. Some of the < snicker > cowboys made a few failed attempts to get a camp fire lit, first using diesel fuel, then regular automotive gas, as "fire starter". After a few failed attempts, I told them to go take care of their hayride responsibilities, and I would build a campfire and tend to it. I went to the trailer, got my Rubbermaid tote full of kindling twigs from Sandbanks Provincial Park, and built a campfire. One match ! No accelerant ! Just like I was taught as a cub scout about 42 years ago. I spent the evening as the campfire supervisor and host. There was a table with a huge jug of hot chocolate, and another of warm apple cider, marshmallows, and roasting forks for the marshmallows. I established campfire rules, and marshmallow roasting rules, “quizzed” the kids on Canadian geography, and led rousing choruses of “Allouette”, which played surprisingly well with the crowd. I guess plucking little birds is something these folks relate to or something. Joanne and I went on the final Haunted Hayride. Oh, it was superb. All kinds of scary scenes in the dark forest. The absolute best one was set up by Sara from New Brunswick, and her “high ropes” colleague, Kelly. Kelly was in full witch’s costume and make-up, sitting on a tree limb over the trail, about 30 feet up the tree. She could be seen sitting on the limb way up in the tree as the wagon came down the trail. She waved slowly as the wagon came closer to her, so the guests would realize it was a real live witch sitting up high in the tree. What they didn’t know was that at the exact right moment, Kelly would push herself off the limb, and come swinging in a huge arc, down out of the tree, and “flying” right over their heads. Those “high ropes” girls are sure good at what they do ! She scared the bejesus out of everyone.

Saturday ; We spent the early part of the afternoon each staffing a “trick or treat station”. Like Thursday evening, the kids walked a long trick or treat route with 9 stations, from Trout Lodge all the way to the ranch. Unlike Thursday, today the kids did the route in daylight. Much better from our perspective. Much less “face plants” due to tripping on costumes, they were less “hyper”, you could actually talk to them, etc.. After the trick or treating, we were < big sigh > assigned once again to be the King and Queen of the luminaries. We trudged along setting up, then lighting luminaries from the Camp Lakewood sign to the “Haunted House”. As soon as we got the luminaries set up, we rushed over to Hillcrest Hall, for the big Hallowe’en Candy Carnival. Joanne tended to the skeleton puzzle table, and I was a roaming magician and juggler. My juggling and magic skills are a teensy bit rusty, but the audience, children and adults alike, seemed to appreciate and enjoy my efforts. I got some positive feed back. After the carnival, all the staff who worked the carnival went down to the Haunted House, for their opportunity to experience it. Another great effort, like the Haunted Hayride. After we had our “private staff tour” through the Haunted House, < huge sigh > Joanne and I extinguished and picked up all the luminaries.

Sunday : Today was a training day for both of us. Joanne went for a day of training in the Country Wheel Store. Initially her assignments were to be front desk and phones, but now they want to use her in the store as well. This morning I went as a "trainee" on a fishing trip, then a pontoon boat tour. After lunch, I went as a "trainee" on a guided hike, then to the rifle range for some riflery. I don't think I'll be assigned to riflery, but the archery program that I was supposed to train at this afternoon was cancelled. I observed, and assisted, with the one hour riflery program taught by Angie. They use bolt action, single shot .22 calibre rifles, on a rifle range that I estimate is probably 25 yards. After the guests left, I tried my hand at it. Six shots, six bull's-eyes. I kid younot ! I'm very proud of this achievement. This was only the third, ( and very probably the last ) time in my life I've shot a gun. I shot one bullet from a .22 rifle when I was 14 years old, and one shell from a shotgun when I was 27.

By late afternoon today, all the guests checked out, and this place is deserted except for staff.. Good thing ... everybody’s tired. They worked hard to provide a great Hallowe’en weekend.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment