Sunday, November 21, 2004

November 19, 2004

November 19, 2004

Trout Lodge

DAY 155

 

 

Well ... today is the beginning of "So ... You're In the Army Now" theme weekend. The guests should start arriving right after lunch time. For most of my work assignments this weekend, I am to "play the role" as Drill Sergeant Daniel, a crusty, mean old drill sergeant. PHHHHT ... shouldn't be too hard ! Too bad the Program Director had an “issue” with content, when I suggested that my main line could be “your mothers aren’t here to hold your weenies now”.

My first job this afternoon was to review the obstacle course design and procedures for tomorrow's obstacle course event. Then I did a small amount of boat maintenance, and attempted to teach some of the younger staff some boating procedures. It took seven of us to get the heavy, old rescue boat back into the water, and the main thing I was trying to teach was how to drain water out of the boat by removing the drain plug while out travelling on the water, and allowing the "suction" under the back of the boat to suck the water out of the drain plug hole. It was a failed demo. The heavy old boat, with old, small motor, did not have enough power or speed for this procedure to work. I just about sunk the boat with three of us in it, out in the middle of the lake. HEY ... you win some, you lose some !

Then I did some last minute adjustments to one of the Questing Hikes I designed over the last 2 weeks. I am leading a "Questing Hike" special event tomorrow. My 3:00 P.M. archery class had no attendees, and my 4:00 P.M. class had only a mother with a three year old. The little one just wanted to see a "bow and arrow" demonstration. Nice work if you can get it !

I chatted over supper with Julie, Jack, and Sharon, the other WorkCampers. After supper, I spent some time online while waiting for Joanne's shift at the Waterwheel Country Store to end. Today was one of the few days that our work shifts were not the same. When she was finished work, she joined me in the Trout Lodge lobby where I was on Wi-Fi. We chatted for awhile with Deborah at the front desk, and Lindsey the Lead Program Director. My crowning achievement for the day was to give some guests the directions they were asking for, to the astronomy presentation out on the tennis courts. An hour later the store called the front desk on the radio, to ask about the astronomy presentation. The somewhat displeased guests wereout on the dark tennis courts waiting. The front desk advised the store that the astronomy presentation had been cancelled due to cloud. WHAT ? ? ? That was the first I heard of the cancellation. Oh, well ! Like I said ... you win some, you lose some !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment