Friday, November 19, 2004

November 18, 2004

November 18, 2004

Trout Lodge

DAY 154

 

First thing this morning I went to Trout Lodge to use the phone to call Parker-Banks Chevrolet. I discussed yesterday's "events" with the service manager and made an appointment for right after lunch. It could be the voltage regulator, it could be the alternator itself, it could be the computer module that controls "electrics", etc. < sigh >. I spent part of the morning in a meeting with Jessica Clay, the Volunteers Co-ordinator ( and wife of the Executive Director ) planning this weekend's work assignments for me, and discussing how terrified the programming staff are of me. HMPH ! Apparently I've intimidated most of the young, twenty-somethings. HEY ... you can lead, you can follow, or you can get the hell out of my way ! The rest of the morning I spent online, working on getting a WorkCamper job for January and / or February. Cell phone service here is so poor, I must do almost all communication by e-mail, so the process is slower than if I were able to just pick up the phone and call people.

Immediately after lunch, I headed for Potosi for visit no. 6 to the local GM dealer. They checked everything out, and could find nothing wrong with the voltage regulator, the alternator, and the computer module. Either there is an intermittent overcharging problem, or I'm over filling the battery fluid, and there is not enough room to allow for the sulphuric acid to heat and expand normally, while the truck is being driven. OOOPS ! I always fill each battery cell to the bottom of the visible "slot". I did that yesterday with the new battery, because the fluid seemed a bit low when I bought the battery. OOOOOPS ! ! ! Apparently I'm filling the battery cells to a level that was correct in "the good old days", but that's way too much in today's batteries. They had to suck about a cup or more of sulphuric acid out of each of Dee-Dee's 2 batteries, a difficult, and tedious process. They provided me with another windshield washer pump, and did not charge for either the part or today's labour, checking the electrics and sucking out the batteries. I re-installed the battery tray and the new battery while the truck was in their nice dry shop, on this cold rainy day. I will not re-install the windshield washer system components for at least 2 weeks, until I am certain that there is no more battery acid leaking problem.

Back to Trout Lodge, for dinner, and an evening of sitting around the empty front lobby with the other WorkCampers, complaining about this place ! HA HA HA !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment