Sunday, November 28, 2004

November 27, 2004

November 27, 2004

Trout Lodge

DAY 163

 

Toby is still with us today. He emptied his bladder over night, so that might allow him to survive awhile longer. He has a strong spirit, and doesn't seem to want to succumb. This morning I made an appointment with a local veterinarian for Monday morning. Late this afternoon I took Toby outside in my arms, to allow him to feel the wind in his face for one last time. I carried him into the forest, and showed him where we will lay him to rest on Monday. He always liked to be just inside a forested area, looking out and observing people who didn't know he was in there watching them. His final resting spot here in the Ozarks will be such a place. My heart is breaking as I type this.

Today was cold and raining. I have a cold today. Day 1 of 10 days of misery, no doubt. My throat is very sore, and my voice is hoarse. I started my work day by helping Abby rescue the 2 pontoon boats that broke loose overnight and drifted away across Sunnen Lake. The winds were so strong over night that the tie ropes on both boats snapped. It was raining heavily. We both ended up stepping in the lake in water about ankle deep. I remained cold and wet for the rest of the day. My morning was taken up with archery sessions, and my afternoon with pontoon boat tours. As often as I could, I trekked up to Trout Lodge to get myself some hot tea.

After supper, we drove all the way to Potosi to buy throat lozenges at Wal-Mart. Such are the joys of living 12 miles from the middle of nowhere.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment