Friday, September 2, 2005

August 30, 2005

August 30, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 105 of 113

YEAR 2 DAY 74

 

Today was sunny and warm. I started the day feeling sick and weak, more so than yesterday, which was very discouraging, but as the day wore on, I improved.

We have just finished watching the 11:00 P.M. news, and are stunned at the reports of Hurricane Katrina's devastation of parts of Louisiana, and Mississippi, particularly New Orleans. The northern parts of the Gulf Of Mexico were some of the most interesting places of our first year's travels. It's where Bo comes from. I was just trying to tell him, as he snoozes upside down on the sofa, how lucky he is that we "rescued" him from Gulf Shores, Alabama shortly after Hurricane Ivan hit there last fall. If we hadn't, he'd probably now be just another little dead dog in the wake of Katrina. I think his survival of Ivan is why he's so spooked about heavy winds and rain.

This morning I made some phone calls. First, to pay our MasterCard bill by phone, from the pay phone in the campground. It's the second time I've used the pay by phone method to pay MasterCard, but the first time I've done it without using a human agent at the other end. It worked well. We loaded Bo into the truck, to give him the joy of a short ride, and drove to the park entrance gate to use the cell phone to call the drapery shop in Winnipeg where we took the bedroom shade for repair 2 weeks ago. It was supposed to be repaired in a week. It wasn't ready when we went to Winnipeg for Joanne's Uncle Luc's funeral last week. It's still not ready ! I expressed my displeasure, and told them I would be in to pick up our shade on Thursday, whether it was repaired or not !

We had lunch, I read, then napped. We spent most of the afternoon doing some "spring cleaning" of the contents of the large tool chest in the back of the truck, in preparation for resuming travel in a week. Water got inside the truck tool chest, and the contents needed drying and cleaning, as well as sorting, discarding, and rearranging. It was one of those jobs that just kind of kept growing. I also installed the new speaker in the truck door. HEY ... sound on my side of the truck. How nice. Now that I discovered that the driver's door speaker wasn't working, I guess we know why I was always turning the truck stereo volume up, and Joanne was complaining about it being too loud.

We had quite a few late arriving campers tonight to deal with. It was a nice evening, and I was feeling better, so I took Bo for a long pleasure walk, down to Crescent Beach and back, then we did an obedience session, then a tennis ball play session, while Joanne prepared supper.

We had supper, and watched a couple of TV shows, before watching the news. It impacts differently, watching places on the news that we've recently visited. We're grateful we got to see New Orleans just before Christmas. It may never look the same again.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment