Monday, September 5, 2005

September 3, 2005

September 3, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 109 of 113

YEAR 2 DAY 78

 

Today was sunny and warm. I felt healthier today !

After breakfast and morning chores, I did today's regular preventive maintenance and inspections on Dee-Dee. Joanne wanted the truck to go to Falcon Lake for groceries and a newspaper. While she was gone, I rearranged and put into storage the many books I have read this summer. I was surprised to discover that I've read over 35 books this summer. Amazing what a summer of only CBC TV can produce. I have quite a collection of books to trade at book exchanges, which we find quite often at RV parks in the states. I worked on re-installing the repaired bedroom shade, along with the valance and trim around it. I needed more hands than I have, so I had to wait for Joanne to return from Falcon Lake to help me finish.

We had lunch. I repaired a pair of sandals of mine, using my hot glue gun to reattach the soles. Joanne thought I should just throw them out, but I wanted to see if I could repair them and extend their life. When we arrived here at West Hawk Lake in May, we had to have some tree limbs trimmed from our campsite to allow Harvey to fit. The cuttings have been sitting in our site, drying out, to be used as firewood. Since all our good oak firewood from Missouri was stolen, this local birch tree trimmings was all we had left as firewood. Most of it was stolen today. I'm so weary of the low brows that occupy this campground ! I spent more time this afternoon than I thought I would replacing little oak mushroom plugs in our wood furniture and trim. Every screw hole in the furniture, and on the wall trim, was covered with a stained oak mushroom plug. When we first got Bo, he liked to gnaw these little wood plugs off. Bad dog ! He finally gave up that bad habit. Earlier this summer, I bought a dozen oak mushroom plugs and stained them. Today I replaced all the missing mushroom plugs, gluing them in place to foil Bo's efforts if he should try to resume his bad habit. I took him for an obedience training walk. He did quite well, given the amount of distractions facing him. Full campground, lots of people, lots of children, which he loves, lots of dogs, and squirrels getting ready for winter.

Joanne prepared a roast for supper. We haven’t had a roast in a long time. I had bought it with intentions of cooking it on the barbecue, but we decided today that it would be more economical to just roast it in the oven in the trailer. Our barbecue uses those expensive little disposable cylinders, and it would take a couple of hours to do the roast on the barbecue.

After supper, I spent the evening working on the batch of incoming mail we picked up at Sharon's on Thursday. The entertainment for the evening was the campground water spigot at the side of the road by the shower building being sheared off by a school bus converted to a camper. I guess you can dress up these school bus converting rednecks, but you can't take them out ! Knocked over the water spigot pipe, and the concrete block it was embedded in, shearing off the water pipe below ground. Quite a problem for the Parkies and Maintenance. We rushed to fill the trailer's fresh water holding tank in case it was necessary for them to shut off the water in the campground. After sanitizing the fresh water holding tank earlier this summer, I had drained the tank and left it empty. Well, I guess that wasn't the only excitement for the evening. Joanne just knocked over a large glass of chocolate milk I mixed up for her about 2 minutes ago. I took Bo for a late night walk. It's a very busy and rowdy campground tonight. There are beer cups discarded all along the campground road. There is a young woman lying on the side of the road, curled up in the fetal position, staring at her cell phone. The display is casting an eerie blue glow on her face. I reported her to the Parkies who are guarding the campground entrance gate. They were already aware of her presence on the side of the road. Okaaaaayyyyy !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment