Friday, September 2, 2005

August 31, 2005

August 31, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 106 of 113

YEAR 2 DAY 75

 

Today was cloudy and raining, heavily at times. My health was a bit better then yesterday. I realized yesterday that each day I feel healthier later in the day, and sicker earlier in the day.

This morning while I was showering, Peggy in the campground office dropped off a get well card at the trailer, signed by all the Parkies and Woodchucks, and office staff. How nice, thank you. I filled out and submitted our Manitoba Pharmacare application form this morning. I did a monthly backup of all the computer files onto CD's. We dried, cleaned, folded, and put away the one man bivouac that is Teddy's tent. Teddy probably won't have his outdoor shelter again until we do a campground host WorkCamper job in Arizona or New Mexico in January or February.

Joanne went to Falcon Lake to buy some groceries, and came back with today's Winnipeg Free Press. My goodness ! The entire front page is a picture of New Orleans under water. We recognize the elevated section of Interstate 10. We drove that section to get from our campground to the French Quarter. A section of the highway stands above the water, with exit and entrance ramps disappearing into the water. Eighty percent of the city is under water ! How does an urban society cope with that in the short term ? ? ?

We had lunch, I read the newspaper for quite awhile, then took a long nap. My stamina is a bit low at the moment. We spent the rest of the afternoon washing the truck, then chatting with Don, one of the senior Parkies. We talked about colitis, his responsibilities for the fall and early winter in Whiteshell Provincial Park, and his application for a competition for a position that is a one level higher classification than he is now. Lorri phoned, and the connection was bad, so I drove out to the park entrance gate to return her call. By the time I phoned, Lorri had left, and Doug didn't know why she was calling < rolling eyes >. Joanne prepared pickerel for supper. I still have a few pickerel left in the freezer from my catches in June at Star Lake. I want to go fishing one more time before we leave. I haven't been fishing since the end of June, when the water warmed, and there was a lot of boats and swimmers, sending the fish away from the dock at Star Lake and into deeper waters. I was planning to go tonight, but felt too weak. As we were sitting down to eat supper, I got a phone call from the Winnipeg man we talked to a couple of times this summer, who is trying to spear head an effort to establish an RV co-op park in the Lake Of The Woods area. He's spinning his wheels, and I don't think he's going to get off the ground. He and I aren't on the same page as far as an RV co-op park development goes, so I doubt that anything will come of it.

We watched a bit of TV after supper, then the news.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment