Monday, June 13, 2005

June 11, 2005

June 11, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 25 of 113

DAY 359

 

Finally, today was warm and sunny.

As I walked back from having a shower this morning, there was a young buck deer walking through our campsite. His little antlers were covered in velvet. I don't know what it means when a deer's antlers are covered in velvet. I spent the morning doing routine chores. I worked on repairing a corner of the dinette table that needed a small amount of sanding and varnishing. It seemed to have gotten scratched when some little rat shit terrier jumped from the back of the sofa onto the dinette table to see something out the window ! I took an empty propane tank over to Crescent Beach Cottages and had it refilled. Wow ... their price on propane is outrageous. Next time I need a propane refill, I'll take it elsewhere, maybe Kenora. I bought today's newspaper. I cleaned out the inside of the truck tool chest, which after a year of travel, needed a spring cleaning. I varnished a dozen oak mushroom plugs I bought to replace the ones Bo pulled off of various locations in the trailer and chewed. Bad dog. I'm somewhat reluctant to replace the missing plugs, in case he decides once again that pulling off the little wooden plugs and chewing them is a fun thing to do. Maybe it was just a phase ?

After lunch, I read today's newspaper until I fell asleep. Nice work if you can get it ! This Campground Host gig is definitely not the toughest job I’ve ever had. After I napped, we took Bo for an obedience training session. He's back to doing extremely well. He performed flawlessly, surrounded by the distractions of campers, dogs, cars, and motorcycles. Good dog ! We cleaned and waxed another section of Harvey. I repaired a section of road rash on Harvey that I had previously repaired, but didn't have quite the right materials the first time around. I barbecued a nice steak for supper.

After supper, I decided to go fishing at Star Lake for a couple of hours. Sure enough, 5 minutes after I arrived at the Star Lake dock and started fishing, it started to rain. Gee whiz ! It looked like it might stop after a few minutes, so I didn't bother going back to the truck for a rain jacket. I ended up sitting in the rain for 2 hours. I caught a jack ( Northern Pike ) and a pickerel ( Walleye ). I released the Pike.

I returned to West Hawk, filleted the fish, changed into dry clothes, and did my journal.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment