Friday, June 17, 2005

June 14, 2005

June 14, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 28 of 113

DAY 362

 

Yet another grey, dreary day, with light, misty rain for most of the day.

We headed for Kenora first thing this morning, bringing Teddy with us, and leaving Bo in the trailer. It was the first time Bo has been left completely by himself since we got him. He was a good dog all day. No damage to anything, nothing chewed, etc..

First stop was Kenora Hospital where I dropped Joanne off to have a series of cancer screening tests. I went to the Post Office to buy postage for a letter to the U.S., then to the Bank Of Montreal to see if our cheque order had arrived yet. It had not. I went to Canadian Tire across the street from the bank, only to discover that it was now closed, and their new location on the east side of town was now open. I went to the real estate office to follow up on last week's meeting. The agent I wanted was out for half an hour. I drove to Canadian Tire on the other side of town and bought some Lucas diesel fuel additive that I needed. Then it was back across town to the real estate office again. I had a quick meeting with the real estate agent, then headed back to the hospital. Joanne had just finished and was waiting at the front door. We drove to Wal-Mart, and before heading in I phoned the vet to see if we could get an earlier appointment for Teddy. It was 11:45 A.M., we didn't have too many more errands to run, and Teddy's appointment was for 3:00 P.M.. The vet office said they just had an 11:45 A.M. cancellation, and if we came right down, they would take us right now. We rushed over to the vet office.

Teddy needed his annual examination and vaccinations. He has lost weight in the last year, and the vet discovered a thyroid tumour. The weight loss and thyroid tumour suggest age related hyperthyroidism. We agreed to a bunch of blood tests, not realizing how outrageous the charges would become. When the bill was presented, my knees just about buckled. Immediately upon getting back into the truck, Teddy became ill, vomiting all over the truck. Poor, baby Teddy. Needles always make him sick, although usually not quite as quickly as today. I guess he's getting old. We headed back to Wal-Mart, deciding to have a quick lunch in the MacDonald's inside Wal-Mart. We did our Wal-Mart shopping, then walked across to the new Canadian Tire for my second shopping trip of the day there. From there we walked over toMark's Work Warehouse and I bought some new jeans. In this new travelling lifestyle I seem to be particularly hard on shoes and jeans. We drove over to Safeway, and while Joanne went into Safeway to buy some groceries, I wandered over to the waterfront laundromat that is for sale to take a peek at it. It's not really what we're looking for. It's on a $300,000 piece of Kenora waterfront real estate, with a large boat dock on Lake Of The Woods. I guess much of its business comes from water access cottagers.

We drove back to West Hawk, and before pulling into the campground, we drove around exploring some of the cottage access roads around West Hawk Lake, and a few miles away, Hunt Lake. Deer, deer, everywhere deer ! Back at the trailer, Joanne put away our purchases while I took a very excited Bo out for a walk. WOW ... full bladder ! I read for awhile, then around 6:00 P.M. there began a steady stream of late arriving campers. We try to meet late arriving campers while they're still puzzling over the closed registration office, before they drive their 40 foot motorhomes down into the swampy sections of the campground. I guided the late arrivals into suitable spots, then began working on today's journal and accounting while Joanne went off to Crescent Beach Cottages to do some laundry.

I just answered a knock at the trailer door. A young woman camped in section G wanted to borrow my axe. Geeeeez ... we just watched The Royal Tenenbaums last night. I have visions of this city bimbo chopping off half a finger.

I just assisted another late arriving, incoming camper, from Ottawa, the second one tonight from Ottawa.

When Joanne returned from doing laundry, we had supper, then watched the one show a week on CBC that's worth watching.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment