Sunday, June 19, 2005

June 18, 2005

June 18, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 32 of 113

YEAR 2 DAY 1

 

Happy Anniversary re ; first year of full time travel

Happy 13th birthday, Teddy Cat

Happy 3rd birthday, Bo Dog

 

Today was sunny and very warm. Since we started our full time travel adventure one year ago today, I have used last June 18's weather as a benchmark for the ideal. This year June 18 lives up to that reputation.

This morning I walked over to the local convenience store to buy today's newspaper, and some postcards to send to mark our first anniversary of full time travel / RV living. I sat around for much of the morning drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. Late in the morning Joanne went off to Falcon Lake to buy a few groceries, and I started on giving Bo a haircut. I used to give haircuts to Misty the Poodle and Nikki the Bichon Frisè, so I have experience cutting curly haired dogs, but I had never given a haircut to a dog with soft, straight, long hair. It went fairly well. I was able to complete most of the haircut without help. When Joanne returned from Falcon Lake, she assisted by holding Bo while I clipped his feet and face. He was not very accepting of the clippers around his face. Everything else he accepted well. As a result, the face is not quite satisfactory to me, but Joanne convinced me to declare it "good enough" and finished.

I've come down with a mild cold which I caught from a beaver ( ha ha ha ) so I wasn't feeling particularly well, nor particularly ambitious today. Yesterday Beth the Park Naturalist was dressed in a beaver costume for their Park Interpretive Program presentation at the Amphitheatre. I think I caught a cold from her when she led our tour of the Whiteshell Fish Hatchery a few days ago. After giving Bo a haircut and having lunch, I was feeling ill so I took a long nap. I awoke when I heard the sound of a diesel truck right outside the bedroom window. I peeked out to see Joanne trying to assist a 33.5 foot fifth wheel and one ton diesel dually into a campsite. I went out and helped guide the big rig into a site. This old campground, like most older, public campgrounds, is really quite unsuitable for such large rigs. Once we got the big fifth wheel into place, which was a lot more difficult than it sounds, I spent the rest of the afternoon sitting in our campsite reading the newspaper. I mildly regret not making more of a celebration today to mark our travel anniversary and the animals' birthdays, but I wasn't feeling great. We've arbitrarily decided that today is Teddy's and Bo's birthdays, as well as our travel anniversary. They were both born in June, so the 18th seems like as good a day as any to declare as their birthdays.

We barbecued a late supper, then spent the evening walking slowly all around the campground, playing campground hosts.

It was a great day to just laze around and enjoy the nice weather.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment