Friday, June 17, 2005

June 16, 2005

June 16, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 30 of 113

DAY 364

 

Another beautiful, warm, sunny day.

Today's wild life good news story is I saw a doe in the campground with 2 very small fawns. They were cute. I did not know that when fawns suckle, their tails wag furiously. When the doe stood still to munch on some low hanging leaves, the fawns ran under her and began to nurse, tails wagging and front legs waving in the air. Today's bad news wild life story is the Park Patrol had to shoot a yearling bear ( again ! ). Apparently it was having some difficulty placing its order at the Night Hawk Café 's take out window. HA HA HA ! If it had been a different sort of bear, I guess you could call that grisly humour. HA HA HA HA HA < SNORT > !

This morning I just drank coffee and read the newspaper outside, enjoying the wonderful sunshine. After lunch, I remounted the spare tire underneath the truck. The tire that was flat a few days ago is now the spare. Then I drained all the holding tanks while Joanne worked on cleaning and waxing the last section of Harvey. What she did today will have to be redone, because she ran out of the bug & tar remover / wax. I cleaned and culled my fishing tackle box. I threw out some junk lures that have been in there unused for probably the last 40 years. I realized today that some of the junk in my tackle box is stuff my dad gave me when I was a boy, because it was such useless tackle he didn't want to keep it in his tackle box. Might as well give the crap to the kid, eh ? HA HA HA ! Late in the afternoon Joanne went to Falcon Lake to buy some groceries, and I took a short nap. When she got back, we chatted about her phone calls with our sisters. HMPH !

I did today's accounting and started today's journal while I barbecued supper. After supper, I went to Star Lake to fish for an hour and a half. I caught 2 Walleye. While continuing to fish, with 2 pickerel hanging in the water, attached to my fish stringer, which was attached to a ring on the dock, I heard the metal fish stringer clanging. I wondered why my captive fish were being restless. I pulled up the stringer to check. HEY ! ! ! A large turtle had its mouth clamped around the jaw of one of my pickerel. I had to bonk it on the top of the head with the tip of my fishing rod to make it let go. It had mangled the jaw of the fish, so I wasn't able to harvest thepickerel cheek on one side. Stupid turtle !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment