Saturday, June 4, 2005

June 3, 2005

June 3, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 17 of 113

DAY 351

 

Today was cloudy and warm, with rain on and off for most of the day. The kind of day that's conducive to napping and reading books. After 6 weeks last year, and 3 weeks this year in Manitoba, we haven't been very impressed with Manitoba's weather.

I spent the morning working on the latest batch of incoming mail. I spent most of the afternoon reading a book and napping. We cleaned and waxed the final lower section of the trailer, and are now ready to begin working on the upper half. I gave the truck a quick washing. More of a rinse, actually. I wanted to get all the tree droppings off. I'm afraid that sticky pollen and tree sap stuff will harm the paint finish. We took Bo for an obedience training walk. He's back to doing quite well.

The campground started to fill up a bit this afternoon. There were 5 campers left over from last night, and 15 with reservations expected for tonight. There are a couple of larger rigs in our section. I helped one get into their site, and the other one declined my offer of assistance. Fine ... back it into a tree ... see if I care.

I cooked fresh pickerel for supper. MMMMM ! ! ! The medium size one I caught last night was more than enough to feed both of us. The smaller one I caught yesterday morning was left over, to be eaten cold tomorrow. Maybe I'll make a pickerel "po boy" sandwich for lunch. I had harvested the cheeks from both fish, for Teddy and Bo to eat, but they were so appetizing, Joanne and I ate them.

After supper, we did a walk around the campground, meeting, greeting, offering assistance, playing campground hosts. Then we went to see the first interpretive presentation of the season at the amphitheatre. Three young naturalists, one in a bear costume, performing skits about

"the bear facts". By the way, we have a bear in the campground. Neither of us has seen it yet, but the maintenance staff have. As the park naturalist staff were performing their bear song, a deer came wandering by. Bo started barking at it. I had to rush away from the amphitheatre, and take him back to the trailer.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment