Friday, June 24, 2005

June 20, 2005

June 20, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 34 of 113

YEAR 2 DAY 3

 

Today was sunny and hot.

This morning as I was walking back to the trailer after taking a shower, I saw what I thought was an empty beer can in a campsite. I wondered how I hadn't noticed it yesterday. I walked over to pick it up to throw it in the recycling bin. HUH ? ? ? The beer can started to scurry away ! It was a large Painted Turtle sunning itself. I wondered why it was such a long way from the lake. I got my camera and took a couple of photos.

I drove out to the park gate and made some phone calls. First I phoned about the water sports equipment rental operation at Grand Beach that is available for lease. They want and need someone to run it this summer. Whoever had agreed to lease it for this summer backed out, somewhat late. I'm interested for next summer, not this one, so maybe we'll talk again in the fall. Then I phoned about a trailer park co-op in the Lake Of The Woods. The man I spoke to is trying to be a catalyst to get a group of interested people together to form a co-op to purchase or develop a trailer park co-op on Lake Of The Woods. I left him my name and phone number and we'll see what comes of it. Then I phoned Roger Gran-Ruaz, my investment broker in Ottawa to discuss my financial needs for the next year, and to set up a meeting time to conduct a detailed review by telephone of my investments. Joanne went off to Falcon Lake for a few groceries while I went to the campground office to get online and retrieve my MasterCard bill. I sat in the sunlight reading a book until Joanne was back from Falcon Lake, then we had lunch.

I'm still feeling a bit run down, with a low grade cold, so again I took a long nap in the afternoon, while Joanne washed the trailer windows. When I got up, we took Bo to the handicapped shower and gave him a bath. He's easy to bathe with such short hair, and he certainly dried quickly. He seems to enjoy his new, short hair. He seems cooler. Everyone who has seen him since his haircut thinks it's very cute. After bathing Bo, I printed, reconciled, and paid the MasterCard statement. By then it was time to start to working on supper. Joanne got everything ready inside, and I barbecued.

After supper, I went fishing to Star Lake. I caught my limit of 4 Walleye in 65 minutes. That will be tough to beat ! I'm finding that my fishing skills, and general outdoor skills and abilities, are returning after not being used for 15 years or more. On the short drive from Star Lake back to West Hawk Lake, a distance of about 3 km. / 2 mi., I had to slam on the brakes twice to avoid hitting deer. While filleting the fish back at West Hawk Lake, in the picnic shelter behind our campsite, the mosquitoes were quite bad. I guess after 10 or 12 days of rain, followed by a few days of sunny, warm weather, it was inevitable.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment