Wednesday, June 8, 2005

June 6, 2005

June 6, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 20 of 113

DAY 354

 

Today started out cloudy, cool, and drizzling. The rain stopped in the afternoon, and it got humid and warm.

The weather was poor again this morning, so we decided to go exploring. First we drove to Falcon Lake to fill up with diesel and make some phone calls. On the way back to West Hawk, a deer jumped out on the road in front of me. It was a close call. Thank goodness for anti-lock brake systems. I slammed on the brakes and veered toward the ditch, and missed it, but not by much. If I had been towing Harvey, or didn’t have ABS, there would be one less deer in the world.

We saw a total of seven deer and a fox in our travels today. From Falcon Lake, we drove back to West Hawk, then west on Hwy. 44 to the town of Rennie about 30 km. from West Hawk Lake. There’s not much at Rennie. We thought there would be more of a town. At the southwest gate of Whiteshell Provincial Park, we stopped at the Alf Hole Goose Sanctuary. There’s currently about 200 geese and goslings at the sanctuary. We drove back to West Hawk, had a late lunch, then I napped.

By late afternoon, the rain finally stopped, and we were eager to get some outside chores done. Joanne worked on cleaning and waxing the upper portion of the rear of the trailer. I installed my rebuilt rear mud flap. This job required me to remove the dual rear wheels off one side. Removing and reinstalling the dual rear wheels on Harvey is such a large job. I hate doing it. I removed the wheels, drilled the edge of the fender / dually hip, drilled the remade mud flap, installed the mud flap, and reinstalled the wheels. Joanne and I both finished our jobs about the same time. While she prepared supper, I did a campground walk around, then took Bo for an obedience training session. After supper, we watched part 2 of the movie on the Halifax explosion.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment