Wednesday, October 5, 2005

September 29, 2005

September 29, 2005

Creston to Keremeos, B.C.

YEAR 2 DAY 104

 

Today was mostly cloudy, warm, with intermittent drizzle.

This morning we departed Pair-A-Dice RV Park in Creston, heading west on Hwy. 3. Shortly after leaving Creston, we began the long ascent up one of the two toughest hills we've encountered in our travels. We drove through both of them last spring, and both of them again today. First was the Kootenay Pass, between Creston and Salmo. The ascent is about 25 to 30 km. long, 6% to 8% grade to the summit of the pass, then a descent about the same distance and grade. The second tough hill is the ascent out of the mountains down to the city of Osoyoos in the valley, and then the climb back up into the mountains leaving the city on the other side. Uphill is an extreme strain on Dee-Dee's engine, transmission, cooling system, and turbo charger. Downhill is an extreme strain on the truck's transmission, and brakes, as well as the trailer brakes. Both truck and trailer made it through the challenges of the day well. I wish the same could be said for me. I'm fatigued after a long day of driving challenges.

We stopped for lunch, groceries, and diesel in Grand Forks. We had lunch in the trailer while parked in a shopping mall parking lot, then while Joanne went into the grocery store, I drove over to the gas bar and filled up. We arrived at SunKatchers RV Co-op Park around 6:30 P.M.. My first impression was quite unfavourable, and I'm very disappointed. Hopefully tomorrow will change my perspective. Upon arrival, I drove to site 115 to find Mr. Peter Timmerman, as I was instructed when I phoned about a week ago to arrange our visit. Mr. Timmerman, the Membership Director was not expecting us, was unaware of my prior arrangements to visit, and acted as if our arrival and presence was an imposition on him. He got us parked in a vacant site, and while Joanne went into the trailer to feed the animals and prepare supper for us, I took a tour of the park and its facilities with Mr. Timmerman. I found his negativity unpleasant. Much, indeed most, of what he had to say to me as we walked around the park and facilities, was negative. His attitude was most unwelcoming to a potential new member / park resident. I think we need tomorrow to further explore the park, the residents, their attitudes, etc., but Joanne thinks if the first impression I got was negative and unwelcoming, this isn't likely a place where we would be happy to "live". I hope she's wrong, but I suspect she isn't.

We had a late supper, discussed my "tour" and first impressions, watched a bit of TV, then while Joanne washed dishes, I did today's accounting, journal entry, fed the animals, and walked Bo. Bo was scared of the spooky little windmill in the flower garden. HA HA HA !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment