Friday, August 5, 2005

August 1, 2005

August 1, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 76 of 113

YEAR 2 DAY 45

 

Today was sunny and hot.

When I went to shower this morning just after 8:00 A.M., I was fourth in a line of six waiting for an available shower. While I was waiting for an available shower, I wandered around the outside of the shower building, and adjacent parking lot, picking up an enormous amount of litter, hoping that my actions might somehow register on the people waiting in line. But I guess that's just tilting at windmills !

The entire section H of the campground was occupied this long weekend by a very large extended family group of Filipinos. Seems to be a grandma and grandpa, and all their offspring. Looks like they had many children, and each of their children had many children. Interesting family group. They had a sort of a church service in the picnic shelter yesterday morning. The children, from infants to older teenagers, were all very quiet, attentive, and very well behaved. Not just at their church service, but all weekend. Nice change !

I went to the Manitoba Border Information Centre to get online, retrieve e-mail, and update my blog. As I was leaving, a tourist was asking at the desk for information on the Whiteshell Provincial Park Petroforms. They didn't have any information, so I intervened. I had a Petroforms brochure and Whiteshell Provincial Park map in my truck. The tourist thought I was a hero !

I made blueberry pancakes for brunch. Pancakes are one of my few specialties in the kitchen. I make very good pancakes. I learned to make pancakes from my Aunt Lena, out on the farm, when I was a teenager. I read, then napped. When I woke, we drained the kitchen and bathroom grey water tanks. Then we walked around picking up litter in sections B and H. Section H didn't need much clean up, considering the size of the family group that was in there this weekend. The area along the fence between section B, and the bar, certainly needed a lot of clean up. Joanne went to pick wild raspberries in the forest behind the shower building. I took Bo for an obedience walk. He was much too hot, so we didn't stay out long. Joanne wasn't out long, either. The raspberries were pretty slim pickings.

We barbecued burgers for supper. While we were eating, Sylvia from the campground office came over for a short visit, more with Teddy and Bo than with us. We watched another Michael Moore film Sharon lent us, Fahrenheit 9/11.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment