Friday, August 5, 2005

August 4, 2005

August 4, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 79 of 113

YEAR 2 DAY 48

 

Today was sunny, windy, and cool.

I woke up feeling ill at 5:00 A.M.. I went to the bathroom, fed the animals, walked Bo, and went back to bed, sleeping until I had to get up for my telephone meeting with my accountant. I drove to the park gate and phoned Eric. We discussed Misty Venture's fiscal year end report and tax returns. Brilliant ! The trailer has been "sold" to us personally. The truck has been "sold" to us personally. Accumulated retained earnings have been distributed to us via dividends that are slightly below the personal income tax threshold for taxable dividends. The only asset left in the company is a small amount of money, and the remaining owners' equity / loan from shareholders still on the books slightly exceeds that amount. The company is therefore in a small deficit position, and the money it has is owed to us. The company has no Federal or Provincial Income Tax liabilities, and neither do either of us. Today's phone call to Eric reminds me why I've always been happy to pay his bill. After the phone call, I drove to the Ontario Border Information Centre to mail the Priority Post package to Eric. There was no mail drop box at the Border Information Centre. I drove back to West Hawk Lake, to Major's Service Centre, to exchange the Regional Priority Post envelope for a National Priority Post envelope. They didn't have any National envelopes. Mrs. Major said that Regional envelopes are all that Canada Post provides to them. Fine ... I mailed the documents back to Eric in the Regional envelope, and I'll hope that there's no problem.

Back at the trailer, I lay in bed reading for awhile, then got up and went to shower, while Joanne went to Falcon Lake for groceries. One of last night's late arrivals left a note and $12 on the trailer step, for last night's camping fee. We tell all late arrivals that if they are leaving the campground before the office is open, they will have a free night of camping courtesy of the taxpayers of the Province Of Manitoba, because the campground hosts have no ability to register campers and collect fees. Obviously some people feel compelled to pay anyways. I took the note and $12 to the campground office. They strongly resisted taking it from me. I more strongly insisted. They have a bureaucratic problem with having a camping fee, with no name, address, license plate no., etc. for the registration form. Too freakin' bad ! ! ! Revise your mismanaged systems and procedures ! I pointed out to them that they are losing approximately $100 a night in revenue because the campground host can't register campers, and there is no honour system drop box for campers to self register. They said they don't care. I said, that as a taxpayer, I did !

I spent most of the afternoon sleeping, feeling ill. I have become frustrated with how frequently I am feeling ill this summer. Ulcerative colitis is a chronic, unpredictable illness. It can flare up any time, with or without any apparent reason, and can last a few days, or a few months. Around 6:00 P.M. I decided a long walk might help me to feel better, so I took Bo and went for a long walk around the campground. Bo was restless, and in need of attention and exercise. After a long walk, he and I played with his tennis ball, but he was more interested in the doe and her 2 fawns than the tennis ball. The fawns are sure growing quickly. I found a pile of fresh bear scat behind the picnic shelter. Uh-oh ! Go away, little bear, or the Parkies will shoot you.

I took the computer out to the picnic table and worked on today's accounting and journal entry while I barbecued chicken and packets of carrots and yams for supper. After supper we watched a documentary on the atomic bombing of Hiroshima 60 years ago. I visited Hiroshima in 1971 when I was in Japan for the 13th World Boy Scout Jamboree, but I was too young and immature to fully understand and appreciate the significance.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment