Monday, August 1, 2005

July 31, 2005

July 31, 2005

West Hawk Lake day 75 of 113

YEAR 2 DAY 44

 

Happy birthday to my brother, Russell.

Today was another sunny, very warm day.

Well ... colour me wrong ! I spent the morning sitting outside at the picnic table, drinking coffee, reading the captivating book Joanne bought for me yesterday. I didn't think I would like it, but now that I've started to read it, I can't put it down. It's the autobiography of Dr. David Suzuki. The early chapters are a fascinating retrospective on how the Canadian and British Columbia governments treated Japanese Canadians during and after the Second World War.

We had lunch, I read some more, then fell asleep for awhile. When I woke, I did my regular, daily preventive maintenance and inspections, then worked on disinfecting the fresh water holding tank. It's a task I do every three months, as a precaution, because we fill with water in so many different places as we travel. Who knows what evil lurks in some water supplies ?

Ooops ! I just spilled Diet Coke on my laptop. Lorri just phoned to ask how we weathered last night's storm. What storm ? All we had was a brilliant lightening display. There was such a severe storm last night in Winnipeg that Doug's return flight from Los Angeles was unable to land at Winnipeg, and was diverted to Grand Forks, North Dakota. He returned home today around noon, about 12 hours late.

I spent the rest of the afternoon continuing to read my new book. We barbecued steak for me, pork chop for Joanne, and butternut squash. After supper, we went for a long walk around the campground. Bo enjoyed a dip in the lake. We walked to the office to check on available sites. None ! Even the two "emergency" sites were filled. We sat around outside for awhile, doing some activities planning. As the "dog days of summer" settle upon us, and my colitis has been bothering me for a few weeks, we've become lethargic. I want to be more active. Maybe Bo isn't the only one getting hitch itch. We took Teddy outside for a short walk around. We played with Bo and his tennis ball. While we were playing with the tennis ball behind the picnic shelter, Bo squirmed out of his harness. Ooops ! Good thing he was hot and tired, and willingly came back to the trailer to get a drink of water. Sometimes when he "escapes", he's extremely difficult to catch.

We watched a movie, on DVD, lent to us by Sharon. Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine, a scathing commentary on American's "right to bear arms". We watched the video on the laptop, with the audio playing through the stereo's speakers. Worked very well !

At 12:30 A.M. I stepped outside the trailer to discover ... WHAT ? A group of 4 drunk, young adults pitching a tent on my campsite, on the other side of my truck. I asked them what they were doing ? Oh ... they were just going to camp beside my truck over night. I advised them that the campground was full, and they would have to leave. They wanted to discuss and debate the issue. I don't think so. Their plea was that they "had nowhere else to go". Yeah ? Well ... go tell someone who gives a rat's ass. Couldn't I "do them a favour" ? Yeah, sure ! I'll give you 10 minutes to get off my campsite and out of the campground before I have the R.C.M.P. come and toss you out ! How's that for a favour ?

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment