Sunday, August 15, 2004

July 30

July 30, 2004

DAY 43

 

 

WOW ! Day 1 of Canada's National Ukrainian Festival. It feels like I'm "back home". Like I'm finally back amongst "my own people" after a long absence. A society of thick men with no necks. Women who spontaneously burst into polka. People who can dance the Kolymayka while holding drinks in their hands.

I can't decide whether to buy the t-shirt that says "I'm a UFO ... Ukrainian From Ontario" or the one with the logo from the reality TV show "Ukrainian Survivor ... Out Dance ... Out Drink ... Out Eat".

Had borscht, pyrohy, and holuptsi for lunch. Had borscht, pyrohy, and holuptsi for supper. Think I might have borscht, pyrohy, and holuptsi tomorrow. I'm a little out of touch, though, after so long away. Even the old women and little children can scarf this stuff down faster than me. But I'll be back in Ukrainian shape quickly. Even after only 1 day, I had to undo my belt to be able to sit comfortably at the evening grandstand show after supper.

Wonderful dancing and music, all day long. And well into the night ! As befits our culture and heritage ! I was particularly impressed with the Riding and Dancing Cossacks who enter and leave on galloping horses. At the end of the evening grandstand show, when all entertainers were invited back onstage ( or nearby, for those on horses ) for the finale, the Cossacks stood at attention on top of their horses, holding flaming torches, for the singing of the Ukraine National Anthem.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment