Sunday, August 15, 2004

June 22

June 22, 2004

DAY 5

 

 

Uh-oh ... sun burned my nose yesterday. Ever since I burned it in Costa Rica so badly that the tip sort of fell off, à la Michael Jackson, it's a bit vulnerable to sun burn.

Was awakened this morning by the sound of something walking on the roof right over the bedroom. Why does it sound as if something rather heavy is walking slowly across the roof ? Am I dreaming ? QUACK ? Why are there quacking sounds coming through the bedroom roof vent ? ? ? This resort has tame ducks and geese. Guess they're not shy about looking for breakfast on the top of RV's.

Today is warm, but cloudy, with occasional light drizzle. Spent the afternoon visiting from site to site as more and more rally participants arrive throughout the day. By suppertime, there are 19 rigs here. Found 2 new "bum buddies" ... my new "asshole" friends. Like me, Sandy has ulcerative colitis. He has been a full time RV'er, with his wife Peachy, for the last year and a half. Chuck had a colostomy a year and a half ago due to colon cancer. Chuck also lost his arm above the elbow in a farming accident 27 years ago. It's a bit inspiring to see a one armed man, with a colostomy, living this mobile life. Chuck and his wife Bev have been winter Texans for about 6 years.

Clouds are gone by the time we have a group barbecue supper, followed by a group campfire, hosted by me. I am the campfire provider, since I'm the firewood provider. The evening is warm and sunny. I'm struggling with the schedules these people keep. Joanne is adjusting / adapting better then I am. They all stand up and leave the campfire, to return to their rigs, to go to sleep, at 9:30 P.M.. They are all up, showered, dressed, and outside drinking coffee and socializing between 7:30 and 8:00 A.M.. I'm about 2 hours out of synch with them. I'm typing this at 10:45 P.M. and everyone has gone to sleep, including Joanne.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment